Wanted: Wild boar in the Sun

greenhillstairs

Hi; I'm looking for a Wild boar hunting trip, estate rifle around the Full moon cycle May 2017. Portugal, Spain, Turkey or similar(Warm(ish/dry) Looking to combine 2/3 nights hunting from a comfortable lodge with My Mrs, Stand, High seat/on foot, and then head off to the coast for 3/4 days R+R. Ha! Before any "Whipped" comments pop up, My Daughters wedding to pay for this year amongst 1 or 2 other commitments,will struggle to find time for the usual solo trip, the Mrs is good with the idea, worked before up Scotland but never tried to walk this "Tightrope" abroad before, aside from South Africa and unfortunately time constraints amongst others take that one out of the equation. Any recommendations or suggestions most appreciated. Thanking you in advance:)

You could end up with more shooting than you bargained for if you go to Turkey at the present time.
Yea unfortunately so these days hey, It wouldn't be my first choice but i would still consider it, i recollect one of the continental outfitters offering something similar(family sun/hunting) not far from the Antalya mountains in Turkey, but that was a good few years back well before the current issues that unfortunately are dogging the country and are likely to impact heavily on its tourism this year for sure.

Last edited:
Hi; I'm looking for a Wild boar hunting trip, estate rifle around the Full moon cycle May 2017. Portugal, Spain, Turkey or similar(Warm(ish/dry) Looking to combine 2/3 nights hunting from a comfortable lodge with My Mrs, Stand, High seat/on foot, and then head off to the coast for 3/4 days R+R. Ha! Before any "Whipped" comments pop up, My Daughters wedding to pay for this year amongst 1 or 2 other commitments,will struggle to find time for the usual solo trip, the Mrs is good with the idea, worked before up Scotland but never tried to walk this "Tightrope" abroad before, aside from South Africa and unfortunately time constraints amongst others take that one out of the equation. Any recommendations or suggestions most appreciated. Thanking you in advance:)

Hi

If you happy with Hungary i can help you out.Send me a PM...

George

Hi

If you happy with Hungary i can help you out.Send me a PM...
George
Thanks very much for the offer,not sure its what i'm looking for here tho, Hunted Boar in Hungary previous, wonderful place and people to match, a good while back now mind and before young uns made Jägermeister popular in the pubs, two of us with a stream of chasers for 4 days solid and only a €35 euro bar tab at the end of it. Happy Dayz:)

May is a crap time to hunt Boars because people are worried about you accidently shooting a Sow.
If you want the coast, my advice is Spain or Croatia.

I agree with Hunt-Inter about May being a bad time to hunt boar, if youre more open to other months I could potentially offer Tuscany, 5km from the coast and a villa with private pool. see post a few down on this forum.

Just had a week in Hungary, end of May to 2nd June, high seats over bait stations.
The weather was absolutely glorious during the day and not particularly cold at night.
Deer, Deer, Deer, everywhere, Red, Roe and some very big Red Deer Carpathian cross breeds perhaps ?? Fox, Wolf, even visited by Bats - in one window, figure of eight and out the other !
The range of Roe were from small single tined to good six pointers, the Reds were also quite majestic.
One in particular came so close to my high seat I thought he was going to check the rungs of the ladder.
The size of his antlers were quite impressive and the way he swung his head as he walked made the muscles in his neck and shoulder ripple - a real sight to enjoy. If it had been in season I don't think I could have brought myself to shoot it.
Now about the Boar. It seems, from local knowledge, that this time of year, May, the Sows are still tucked away in the Forest and are still suckling so she is lethargic and obviously the sucklers don't travel far from the Sow.
As for the Boar, they just do their own thing and as there is still plenty of greenery in the Forest have no need to travel far other than out of curiosity so it is hit and miss whether you see one or not at this time of year.
It seems that the end of June/July is when they start moving out to explore and later on, as the Forest greenery gets less and less makes them forage, this is when they find the bait stations and Bingo! selective Boar shooting from high seats begin.

So come on then Eddy how many Boar did you get ???

No more than I got when I went with Pro Stalk to Germany last year for the amazing maize shoot in September, didn't fire a shot but didn't pay half as much either.
If my wife would travel, this would have been a very cheap weeks holiday in the sun.

I think it's time you threw out that Old Spice aftershave the pigs just don't like it, glad you had a good time though :british:

The company, the food, the organisation by the guys on the ground, the digs and the wildlife made it a fantastic trip without killing anything.

The company, the food, the organisation by the guys on the ground, the digs and the wildlife made it a fantastic trip without killing anything.

PS. I now use Joop ;)

I had to post it twice, it was so good !!!

Back