Sad thing, and a bit more sad

hughsurrey

On the way home tonight I saw a van with its hazards on by the side of the road, as i got closer I realised it was an RSPCA van and a woman kneeling beside a deer.

I pulled over to offer some assistance and the RSPCA guy came from behind his van and explained that the doe had been clipped by a car, broken 3 of its legs and he was going to dispatch it. I offered to hold the deer while he did but the woman insisted on 'comforting' it. The guy then used what I presume was a captive bolt gun to punch a hole in the top of the skull, then inserted a rod down into (i presume) the top of its spine (presumably damaging the central cortex) the doe gave one kick and was gone. Sad to see a beautiful animal in pain, obviously ignored by the driver that caused it, more sad to see a woman struggling to contain herself, but still willing to comfort the animal in distress, even tho it distressed her.

Saddest of all was, given the circumstances, didnt feel right to ask about the carcass :(

aye its so bad when that happens, plus member of the public their to witnes the dispatching of the deer, seeing any animal in pain is not a nice thing its a good thing you were their to lend a hand.. on a lighter note did you get the womans telephone number, you could have invited her round for a venison lunch
On the way home tonight I saw a van with its hazards on by the side of the road, as i got closer I realised it was an RSPCA van and a woman kneeling beside a deer.

I pulled over to offer some assistance and the RSPCA guy came from behind his van and explained that the doe had been clipped by a car, broken 3 of its legs and he was going to dispatch it. I offered to hold the deer while he did but the woman insisted on 'comforting' it. The guy then used what I presume was a captive bolt gun to punch a hole in the top of the skull, then inserted a rod down into (i presume) the top of its spine (presumably damaging the central cortex) the doe gave one kick and was gone. Sad to see a beautiful animal in pain, obviously ignored by the driver that caused it, more sad to see a woman struggling to contain herself, but still willing to comfort the animal in distress, even tho it distressed her.

Saddest of all was, given the circumstances, didnt feel right to ask about the carcass :(

aye its so bad when that happens, plus member of the public their to witnes the dispatching of the deer, seeing any animal in pain is not a nice thing its a good thing you were their to lend a hand.. on a lighter note did you get the womans telephone number, you could have invited her round for a venison lunch

like your style :rofl:

The guy then used what I presume was a captive bolt gun to punch a hole in the top of the skull, then inserted a rod down into (i presume) the top of its spine (presumably damaging the central cortex) the doe gave one kick and was gone. :(

The rod or pithing cane has been abandoned many years ago as you say due to damaging the spinal cord which is a specified risk material for BSE etc.

aye god loves a tryer, if hughsurrey had his head screwed on he could have killed 2 birds with one stone, 1 - freezer full of venison 2 - hot chick to take home to cook it for him :doh:

You forgot 3 - My missus taking my skinning knife to a very dear part of my anatomy:eek:

Whilst I was in the army, we were sent to Wales to slaughter animals during the foot and mouth saga around 2000 I think it was. When it came the slaughtering the sheep, we were to bolt gun them In the head, use a rod in the hole we had just made and slit the sheeps throat. I was quite surprised by all this having never slaughtered anything before.

Aye i had the misfortune to do that to during the F&M ,it was 2001. We only pithed the cattle, the sheep jist got the bolt infact we didn't bleed them neither. We then had to stack them on the fires. A horrible thing when u've worked in and around farms all ur life to kill perfectly healthy animals. I hope that never comes back

Back