CLA Game Fair prices

Are the CLA Game Fair charges too much

• Total voters

scrun63

Is it just me - or does anyone else feel that the CLA are ripping us off with entry prices at £26 on the day. Or am I just doing a "Life of Brian" - "what did the Romans ever do for us ". But if thats the case how come the Midlands Game Fair can do the same thing for 17 quid, and, in my opinion, just as well

I got an email from the CLA Organisers reminding me and I told them what I thought. Of course they didnt bother to reply. Perhaps if everyone who felt we were being overcharged them might think about prices next year

Throw the floor open for debate.....................

Scrun

It does seem a bit steep... I remember when game fairs where the best place to grab a bargain, things tended to be discounted on the day so it made the entry fee worthwhile but sadly those days are gone :(

Scrun,

I'm not a member of the CLA so I haven't seen their accounts. I don't know how much (if any) money they make from the Game Fair so I don't know if they run it pretty much at cost or whether they do well out of it. It must cost them alot to put it on. However, commercial fair operators seem to be able to put on similar events for less money and they must be making a profit.

I think for the average person the CLA is expensive. We usually go for two or three days and camp on site. By the time we've bought tickets, paid camping fees, electric hook up charge and some diesel to get there we're several hundred quid down. I'm fortunate because Mrs DB loves it so we treat it as a holiday.

The situation is no better for exhibitors. The cost of a stall is scarey, especially for the smaller niche businesses who may sell a bit or may not. Having a stall for the first time is a real leap of faith.

Having said all that, I've been to quite a few different Game Fairs (with the exception of the big Scottish one that I'd love to do) and I think there's nothing like it. I was a bit dissappointed by the Midland last year and thought it had declined a bit from what it was.

I guess that the CLA know there's is the premier show in England and hence believe that they can charge accordingly.

Bob

Scrun,

I'm not a member of the CLA so I haven't seen their accounts. I don't know how much (if any) money they make from the Game Fair so I don't know if they run it pretty much at cost or whether they do well out of it. It must cost them alot to put it on. However, commercial fair operators seem to be able to put on similar events for less money and they must be making a profit.

I think for the average person the CLA is expensive. We usually go for two or three days and camp on site. By the time we've bought tickets, paid camping fees, electric hook up charge and some diesel to get there we're several hundred quid down. I'm fortunate because Mrs DB loves it so we treat it as a holiday.

The situation is no better for exhibitors. The cost of a stall is scarey, especially for the smaller niche businesses who may sell a bit or may not. Having a stall for the first time is a real leap of faith.

Having said all that, I've been to quite a few different Game Fairs (with the exception of the big Scottish one that I'd love to do) and I think there's nothing like it. I was a bit dissappointed by the Midland last year and thought it had declined a bit from what it was.

I guess that the CLA know there's is the premier show in England and hence believe that they can charge accordingly.

Bob

Hi Bob
If you did have access to the accounts i'd expect you to say that the prices were VERY reasonable ..... laffin.
But think how many people go through the gates at 26 quid a time. And as you rightly say there's the funds from the stall holders too. I was speaking to a few last year and they were telling me that they are told how much they can charge for food ! Bit of a cartel going on there methinks.
And if i'm right, if not someone will correct me i'm sure, but last year it was only ( !!!! ) £18 (at least thats what I told the missus to put down in finances:eek:). Thats a hell of a price raise
But all that said - yeap it is a great Fair, but you have to balance the cost with benefit and i'd rather have some money towards EAW swing scope mounts

Anyone else not going because of price ?

Didn"t the big rainout a few years ago cause a big stink as the exhibitors got no refund for the cancellation of the event = if less casual labour was needed to be used then just fixed costs had to be paid by CLA.
Martin

I used to really make an effort to go to all the "Game Fairs", I packed it in when the pitches started to resemble the local car boot sale., I can get what I need to buy, from the internet sites, the only downside is the loss of the craic, while meeting up with old aqaintances.............. but I don't feel the need to travel 100 miles & pay £26.00 a head to do that.

We used to go to the CLA without fail for a couple of days and I am going this year for the 3 Days to help a mate on his first venture with a stand at this game fair. I know the costs of a stand are fairly prohibitive and I hope we do as well as we think we may. If it was not for giving my pal a hand I certainly would not be forking out that type of cash for the events seen time after time. It is a bloody good party atmosphere though for the people who do stay for a couple days. Music Drink Field Sports waht else do you want.

John.

This will be the first year in about 20 that I have not bothered, I was really disapponted with last year so I have decided not to go for the Friday and Saturday as usual but to try the Midland this year instead. I know that the stand rents are extorinate and that is perhaps why the number of bargains has dropped considerably, together with the increase in internet buying.

To those that make the effort to go - enjoy yourselves, I may just have to go stalking instead to manage the withdrawl symptoms.
Regards
Tony

Vizslamad,

I'm in a similar position to you. My brother in law has a stand for the first time this year and I'm helping him out. We have our fingers crossed that we'll do well. We did well at the Catton Show but the CLA is a whole different animal.

Best of luck to you and your mate.

Bob

a good mate of mine and his wife go every year and stay for the whole event, they are going this year and staying in there caravan and he tells me its around £350 :eek: to stay and tickets for them both. he says this will be the last year they do this.

To the guys exhibiting for the first time, I wish you reallly well. If you don't make money at the CLA, you won't do it anywhere.

We've done it for around the last 7 years...this year my 6 metre plot of grass (stand fee) has cost me in excess of £1800.00! :eek:

Always enjoy it though, great atmosphere.

Hi,

We have been for last few years and have camped most times and had a few very good nights (thanks Sikamalc!). However it is expensive, £100'ish for pitch for 3 nights, entrance for 2 days. But then your a captive audiance i.e. £2.50 for a drink, food top whack. As has been said several hundred pounds for a camping trip! Not that I am a cheap skate or anything!

Just thought 2 years ago we had tickets for the CLA enclosure and Phil went to get 2 1/2 glases of Pimms ............ £25!!!!!! He wanted to deck the guy but seen as he had waited half an hour he just paid and oh how I savoured it! (Dont
think Phil did though!)

Have fun if your going!

:)

havent been for years.Being the biggest you would have though that it would be cheaper entry than most.It may be big but a hell of a lot of the stands are totally irrelevant to me.Midland is much better value and more for the shooting man

don't go to CLA or GF's anymore, entrance fees are extortionate, bargains not what they used to be, seems as if dealers are using it to sell on trade ins that they've been collecting since last year, when you've been to one, you've been to them all, must admit that I really enjoyed Catton gamekeepers this year and only a tenner entrance fee. ATB callie

I go to the CLA every year
can't think of any i hav missed in the last 20 years
normally i do one day, but since getting a puter and joining a few of these hunting forum's i now hav allocated 2 days
basically so i can join a bigger broader social gathering with a few choice members and any others i happen across
so in reality it is a bargain in my eyes, just being able to meet up with them all in one place and having a great day out together
can't really put a price on that
ATB

I've just checked the concession ticket for oap's they allow £i and charge £25. I will be in Hereford that weekend but I don't think I'll be treating my son and his family to a day at the fair as much as I'd like to.

Ian

The poll says it all really. I think they are now catering for the one time visitors and they'll get thro those quick enough and then it'll fall over as unviable.

Would you pay that much to get into the NEC to what is in the most part, a trade fair?

I won't be going.

The poll says it all really. I think they are now catering for the one time visitors and they'll get thro those quick enough and then it'll fall over as unviable.

Would you pay that much to get into the NEC to what is in the most part, a trade fair?

I won't be going.
No its to dear in my opinion if you and the wife goes its £50 just to get in for both of you plus the cost of fuel to get there etc and thats for one day if you stop over with accomodation its an arm and leg job . This recessions hitting everyone and its a matter of cutting your cloth accordingly, well it is with me.

Back