Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Read this before stalking abroad !

Read this before stalking abroad !

I know many forum members travel abroad in pursuit of there sport .This article relates to a Swedish friend of mine who travelled to India to fulfil a lifelong dream of watching and photographing wild Tigers .He boarded the flight fron Copenhagen to Frankfurt and on to Delhi ,his luggage was checked and x-rayed at each airport . My friend had an enjoyable holiday before embarking on his return journey . He checked into Delhi airport . Then to my friends horror the customs man had found three 30.06 bullets in the lining of a roe sack he was carrying!The alarm was sounded and 6 armed men marched him to a room and tried to interrogate him in Hindu .My friend tried to explain the bullets had been left in his bag after he had been hunting at home in Sweden and showed them hunting photos on his mobile phone .His aircraft left with out him . He had been at the airport for 9 hours till eventually being transferred into police custody for further interrogation . It appeared the police happened to believe his explanation, but informed him a report had already been filed at courtand as a result would have to be heard . He was then thrown into a 6x6 rat infested cell ,the walls spattered with blood and only a stool to sit on. The following morning he was interrogated again and finally allocated a lawyer. The lawyer advised him it could take 6 months to come to court and he could face 5 years in prison .After some brilliant work by his lawyer a clause was found relating to tourists and how the law was applied.He was detained for 10 days fined 3000 rupees , My friend obviously would not disclose his legal fees but i believe they were significant . I hope this shows a simple mistake can lead to a lot of trouble . CHECK YOUR LUGGAGE BEFORE YOU LEAVE

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post
    I know many forum members travel abroad in pursuit of there sport .This article relates to a Swedish friend of mine who travelled to India to fulfil a lifelong dream of watching and photographing wild Tigers .He boarded the flight fron Copenhagen to Frankfurt and on to Delhi ,his luggage was checked and x-rayed at each airport . My friend had an enjoyable holiday before embarking on his return journey . He checked into Delhi airport . Then to my friends horror the customs man had found three 30.06 bullets in the lining of a roe sack he was carrying!The alarm was sounded and 6 armed men marched him to a room and tried to interrogate him in Hindu .My friend tried to explain the bullets had been left in his bag after he had been hunting at home in Sweden and showed them hunting photos on his mobile phone .His aircraft left with out him . He had been at the airport for 9 hours till eventually being transferred into police custody for further interrogation . It appeared the police happened to believe his explanation, but informed him a report had already been filed at courtand as a result would have to be heard . He was then thrown into a 6x6 rat infested cell ,the walls spattered with blood and only a stool to sit on. The following morning he was interrogated again and finally allocated a lawyer. The lawyer advised him it could take 6 months to come to court and he could face 5 years in prison .After some brilliant work by his lawyer a clause was found relating to tourists and how the law was applied.He was detained for 10 days fined 3000 rupees , My friend obviously would not disclose his legal fees but i believe they were significant . I hope this shows a simple mistake can lead to a lot of trouble . CHECK YOUR LUGGAGE BEFORE YOU LEAVE
    bloody hell,thats shocking,

bah my dad got through customs at heathrow with 4 12 bore cartridges in his coat that he was wear only to discover them on arrival at the safari camp you can imagine the shock he got when he found them have walked through security with the coat on.

George

I once discovered some shotgun cartridges in the lining of my coat whilst waiting in line for the X-ray machine!

Fortunately I had been dropped off by my Dad who had not gone far and was able to come back and collect them..... discreetly!

And at Zagreb at the beginning of this year, on the way back from a driven boar trip, one of the party had an empty case in his pocket and it set off an alarm! The guard held the case aloft and shouted "Hunter? ...... or soldier? "

He replied "hunter! hunter!"

Last edited by csl; 13-07-2010 at 19:33.

I flew from gatwick for an assignment in Detroit via Newark NJ so I took my 1911 national match with me as it would be a long contract there.
    I had to rack the piece in the checkin area to satisfy the US checkin clerk that it was not loaded (nervously watching for the UK swats) OK thats done so take piece to UK customs & sign it out of the UK job done.
    Get to Newark pretty tired go through passport/customs and declare it = no interest, get on bus to inland terminal get off & ask porter where is check in? he points to a line "join that buddy" says he. 1/2 hour later get to end of line a guy grabs my bag puts it on a table and off it goes through X ray "S**t this is the boarding think I" WAIL go the alarms up run the NYPD all of them I thought at the time GUN GUN screams the X ray operator. Oh dear think I hmm this one is a 5 year mandatory sentance.
    Officer Gonzales to the rescue sees I am not of mid eastern persuasion an says to his radio it"s OK only a replica. He then walks me to the correct checkin and waits till my case is in the system shakes my hand and says enjoy your stay in the USA.
    This was in 1987.
    It would never happen now.
    Martin

Many years ago was attending a nationl political conference, just post the Brighton bombings. Went through all the security and screening wearing a Barbour Northumbria jacket.

Couple hours later put my hand in an inside pocket only to find a handfull of 12 bore cartridges!!!

Must say the police officer I handed them too was very perplexed.

Not sure what would happen in todays climate.

D

I had arrived at Edinburgh Airport very late for a flight back to the smoke after a few days hind stalking. Checked in, handed over rifle and walked off with wet kit and some venison as hand luggage as bags very overweight. Queue barge at security as so late, bung my wet things and meat on conveyor, grab it as it comes out and head for the gate.

When I got home and emptied the bags to wash the clothes I found a spare magazine holding 5 rounds of .308 and my knife in the pocket. Good security!!!! This happened in 2004.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    i allways before i venture out with rifle do a bullet count and once back at jeep do yet another count then before butting ammo box back in cabinet same again, it only takes 1 un shot round or empty case to be found by member of public and all hell breaks loose, on a lighter note with ref security i bet if you were found with a few boxes of cigs and booze over the limit youd a been in that little room for a strip search
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick A View Post
    I had arrived at Edinburgh Airport very late for a flight back to the smoke after a few days hind stalking. Checked in, handed over rifle and walked off with wet kit and some venison as hand luggage as bags very overweight. Queue barge at security as so late, bung my wet things and meat on conveyor, grab it as it comes out and head for the gate.

When I got home and emptied the bags to wash the clothes I found a spare magazine holding 5 rounds of .308 and my knife in the pocket. Good security!!!! This happened in 2004.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    I once discovered some shotgun cartridges in the lining of my coat whilst waiting in line for the X-ray machine!

Fortunately I had been dropped off by my Dad who had not gone far and was able to come back and collect them..... discreetly!

And at Zagreb at the beginning of this year, on the way back from a driven boar trip, one of the party had an empty case in his pocket and it set off an alarm! The guard held the case aloft and shouted "Hunter? ...... or soldier? "

He replied "hunter! hunter!"

I actually nearly pissed myself laughing with that mouth closed thing you sometimes do in public much to the embarassment of my girlfriend on the way to miami when lady a few places in front of us set the alarm off with a big bad whopper of a vibrator. Everyone else pretty much looked the other way but I was transfixed as this security worker opened up the beast taking out the batteries to look inside. That was the best part of the holiday by far.