Trail cameras

AntlerHunter

I'm a huge fan of trail cameras, a sort of hidden spy that can sit dormant for hours, days, weeks even months. I've been using them for the last 5 or 6 years, one thing I find incredible about them is you can put them in an area you frequently visit, and it will still turn up surprises, such as stags that you had no idea existed, or even a roe that has wandered into a (previously thought) completely red deer area. Over the years they've also helped me to identify deer year upon year, and kept me up tto date with whats going on when my time is too busy to go into the woods often. This summer my cameras quite literally gave me a huge surprise, an 18 point stag. watch the video on my youtube channel along with some cut of him during the rut, including a fight I caught on video. This big stag is in his prime and with a head like that, I hope he lives a good few years and isn't shot on private land any time soon. In my opinion if a huge head comes along, leave him be for a few years, then take him after his prime. Let him sire some young, more trophys for the future.

attached is a photo of him during the rut.

DSC_0031.jpg

What's the make and model of the camera? It's very clear. He's a beauty.

I'm after one myself and there is a bewildering array. Errm cameras that is, not stags obviously. I would go with the SIM type that pings me when it operates.

this one was a Bushnell trophy cam, it was run by 8 AA batteries and used an SD, i would have to retrieve the SD to see what was on it. I have recently bought some stealth cameras (see link attached) they have way better image quality, and some even send the photos/ videos to your phone via email as soon as they are captured. I would recommend the stealth cam, but do your research first. DON'T BUY A CHEAP ONE! spend a bit more and you really get the quality. One thing I always look for is a preview screen, that way you can check it out in the field without having to bring a laptop to import whats on the SD. Be sure you put it in an area where people don't pass through regularly. I've had one stolen and some tampered with. Nothing worse than waiting 2 weeks in suspense to see what has been captured and your camera is gone. B weary of putting one on a wallow. Ive had one smashed to pieces by a stag.

Great reply. Really helpful. I like the idea of it beaming the picture to you so you can at least see the scrote who stole it! My ground is at least 6 hours away so I can't keep nipping up there to look on the SD card. I bought a cheap early model in the States years ago. it's sitting here in the bin next to me. I put it out in the garden last week to see what it was like. Just never used it you see. Well I wouldn't even snap a pic of my pooch. Utter rubbish. So it's in the folder marked B.

I have at least 3 of the cheap Aldi trail cams out on my local ground at any one time , they are an excellent tool and they have been very reliable. i used to own a fairly expensive Bushnell but it was stolen by a local scrote hence i now favour Aldi specials.

No worries, that's a good point. The ones that send you the photos are around 100 more. Make sure you get one that has a high level of sensitivity. Mine is trigured by even a mouse, one draw back is when it's windy, must have collected hundreds of hours of footage of trees blowing in the wind. I even managed to get a pole cat in a field next to my house a few years back, had no idea we had any!

I didn't even know aldi did them! I'll have to have a gander, they'd be perfect for checking out areas where there is a high risk of theft. Such a shame someone stole yours. Some F***ers out there.

Of course what is a pain is when you collect the camera, from an area that only deer and other wild animals frequent, see 84 pics recorded, get home, plug in card, and you find that the damned sheep have broken into the area from the moor!
At least it told me why i hadn't seen any deer there for a while, back up there next week to repair/block the access.

But the first time i put my camera up it needed a wide angle feature, i had told the farmer where it was, farmer told the house keeper, house keeper decided to do a moonie in front of the camera, not a pretty sight!

Cheers
Richard

hahahaha brilliant story, you're right though its annoying when that happens. One thing I've found is in early summer months I have no need for the cameras as the stags are unidentifiable until june, so I put out the camera with a pigeon decoy infornt or some bait, managed to get a hobby air bombing the decoy, and a few very curious and playful badgers.

I bought some bino's from Uttings and got a free trail cam from them.

It is really good considering I didn't pay for it, and has helped loads in seeing exactly what there is there.

Back