One show

Weather Witch

Something on The One Show now about guns

Did not see all of it but seemed to come across in favour of legit gun holders.

Last edited:
Again not enough thought gone into the article, one sided and im very angry............

steve.........

Apart from the "everyone is stabbing and shooting each other in my community therefore I think guns should be banned" chap (I suppose they have to give everyone their say? :rolleyes:) I thought it was a fairly well balanced piece over all.

Alex

I thought it was pretty well balanced and it really made the point that getting a legal firearm is not easy and that there is a lot of checking done. I'd say it was more for us than against us.

I thought the guest who they asked to comment on it afterwards was very, very good however. He was not there for a firearms discussion but just happened to be a guest and they asked him his opinion expecting, I think, some PC/anti type reply. He was from the USA and they asked with 10,000 firearm related deaths each year what did he think about firearms ownership. Now, this is a tricky question for anyone never mind someone not expecting it but his answer was, basically, that with freedom comes some level of risk and he would more than willingly put up with some level of risk in order to have freedom. The presenter seemed a bit taken aback which in some ways serves to highlight just how normal it has become in this country to have freedoms removed on a regular basis. I've no idea who the guest was but it really was a first class answer to a very tricky question and it told us more about our society in the present time than anything I've seen on TV. Well worth watching on this answer as well as the programme insert on the subject.

Yes. I agree with your comments. The big Yank kind of took the wind out of their sails with his answer. Consequently the BBC Dummies moved on sharpish when they realised they were not going to get the kind of answer they wanted.
Alan

The report is standard operational media bullshine.
It is currently in the news so report on it for those who are ignorant

Well, I guess that you own a TV and that you watch it and that you gain a certain proportion of your knowledge of subjects with which you are not directly involved from it. This programme, in my view, presented gun ownership in a way that was directed at someone who, as you say, is ignorant of gun laws and who has maybe only seen a gun in a movie. As legal gun owners we are doing nothing wrong, in fact through our conservation work we contribute a lot to society. So, I think it can only be a good thing that we are now getting coverage on TV as now is the time to tell our side of the story. The other option, to which you may subscribe, is to believe that the media are out to get us and that we should ignore them. I fully understand this position and the drivers but would suggest that a more positive approach on our part might result in legal gun owners getting recognition for their contributions to society.

The reporter who produced the insert we saw last night has now fired a rifle, has met some shooting people, has some shooting contacts and while her personal views are likely to be "anti-gun" if the experience was positive for her then it is also positive for all of us.

So, I say let's engage with the media, take them shooting, invite them stalking, show them there is nothing unusual about what we do and, in fact, that we don't have criminal records, that we do contribute to conservation, that Scotland looks the way it does largely because of our efforts, that red kites and eagles have wilderness to live in because shooting generates a revenue from that wilderness etc. The antis can say all the like, they don't have a single argument that any sensible person will listen to in the face of our legal, and very positive, activities.

.......his answer was, basically, that with freedom comes some level of risk..........

I suppose that the other self-evident truth is that with freedom also comes responsibility.

As previous ruling parties in this country have appeared hellbent on removing responsibility from individuals in favour of prescription, let's see if the current incumbents of Downing Street are willing to apply their devolution of 'Big Government' to areas other than health and education.

I'm not holding my breath.

Apart from the "everyone is stabbing and shooting each other in my community therefore I think guns should be banned" chap (I suppose they have to give everyone their say? :rolleyes:) I thought it was a fairly well balanced piece over all.

Alex
He probably want's everyone else to be unarmed so he can carry on with his agenda/trading! Alex.:D

I'm of the opinion that the film was largely balanced for and against. However, as a passionate guy I always find myself noticing the bad news first and getting worked up a lot more easily than enjoying the good comments.

I'm still worried that the response to the D Bird case is going to be crippling in some way. Not that I'll be able to do anything about that. I'll be asking the local MP in early August.

DC

Totally agree with most of the threads, a fairly well balanced article. I wish they all turned out this way.

I think the way forwards for us should be to concentrate on education, education and education, not just through the media but also through other education systems.

I've carefully educated my 2 youngest daughters (16 and 18 and who by the way were originally totally against the logic because of poor education) and most of her close friends about wildlife management, the need to ensure healthy stock, the correct reasons for culling when required, responsibility with regards to firearms ownership and more importantly a deep caring for the welfare of wild animals in general.

Very often, shooting folk get painted as 'gung ho' individuals who will shoot at anything they see, no matter what, when in fact the opposite is true in the majority of cases. We sometimes, are our own worst enemy when it comes to marketing our own very special brand of skills.

I personally, place the health and welfare of animals under my control on the very top of the agenda where only 1% of the process is pulling the trigger and executing the 'coup de grace'. My respect for all wild animals is immense.

Most young (and matures for that matter) people I talk to can quite easily understand the needs for careful and precise wildlife management. It's often the case that some people in the shooting fraternity concentrate more on gun ownership and the logic of 'Now that I've got a gun........what can I shoot ? Instead of 'I have a need to cull some animals - what weapon do I need to do the job correctly'

We should not just leave this to BASC (or any other shooting body for that matter). WE, as responsible individuals should do our own marketing and get our message across through as many sources as possible.

IMHO

Rocky

Last edited:
Back