Thread: New Rifle: Another Husqvarna 8x57

New Rifle: Another Husqvarna 8x57

My new-to-me Husqvarna M640 8x57 arrived today. As promised, it needs some tinkering. The front guard screw is missing and the triggerguard needs a proper inletting before glass bedding. There was a small cut made in the left side of the stock that needs to be patched and the buttplate arrived cracked due to a careless delivery driver. The wood is nicked and crudded over but underneath is some fine, reddish tinted walnut and the metal is superb. The serial number places it as a 1945 issue with a Norwegian Kron-Vapt barrel: original or rebarreled I don't know but it is numbered to the action in at least two places. Oddly it is less than 3000 units away from my other M640.

My son was handling my 640 when I came in from picking up the new one and commented on how nice it felt when up to the shoulder so I gave him the new one and told him to get a guard screw ordered so we could commence work on it before he returns the the University. I'll post some pics when I can get it away from him.~Muir

Hello Muir,
    Your Husqvarna project sounds fascinating - and very rewarding once you work up an accurate rifle.

Your mention of 1945 made me smile as it reminded me of the buzz of interest in Berlin in '67 when our old combat gear was withdrawn and we were issued with the LATEST broken pattern cammo combat suits.

I took a squint inside mine and a label in the dark recesses said - Canada - 1945.

It seems that there's nothing new in the British armed forces being several paces behind everyone else in equipment supplies.

Good luck with the 'new' rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    My new-to-me Husqvarna M640 8x57 arrived today. As promised, it needs some tinkering. The front guard screw is missing and the triggerguard needs a proper inletting before glass bedding. There was a small cut made in the left side of the stock that needs to be patched and the buttplate arrived cracked due to a careless delivery driver. The wood is nicked and crudded over but underneath is some fine, reddish tinted walnut and the metal is superb. The serial number places it as a 1945 issue with a Norwegian Kron-Vapt barrel: original or rebarreled I don't know but it is numbered to the action in at least two places. Oddly it is less than 3000 units away from my other M640.

My son was handling my 640 when I came in from picking up the new one and commented on how nice it felt when up to the shoulder so I gave him the new one and told him to get a guard screw ordered so we could commence work on it before he returns the the University. I'll post some pics when I can get it away from him.~Muir
    Keep us posted on how you get on with your "new" Husky. I've just taken delivery of an old soldier turned stalker myself. Namely a BSA Mod E sporting rifle in .303. My next step is to get it shot, and then scoped. I'm hoping to find an older Weaver scope to go on it such as a K4, K6, or a KV. I just had a look on Gunbroker, but as usual, all the selles with those models of scope are stipulating "no export sales".
    I can't wait to get this rifle pointed at a few muntjac and roe.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Have fun with your new toy hope you are feeling better now.

I have got myself a new toy also a Lee reloading kit from Bass Pro when we were in Florida so I shall be getting my old J bore kicked into life in the very near future

Mac: Nice rifle! Post some pics of the rifle -preferably with a nice deer as a back-drop. Legal: Sweet, another favorite caliber.~Muir