Training aids for blood tracking

Argus

Afternoon all, I'm very new to this training and firstly would like to know if one of you can tell me exactly how to collect blood, from gralloching, to storing to using. What are the top tips for this process. The one and only time I tried it the blood turned to jelly almost immediately. Also I have purchased a set of scent shoes and would ask how deep should the footprint be of the cleat when using and how do I stop the cleat opening up when I tighten the foot in the clamp. Hope you can help

Collect the blood into a bucket clots and all then seive into small squirty bottles with droppers and freeze don't add salt or other nasty's leave as is and use any more than 100ml per track realistically 25-50 ml is ample
cleave wise I can send a picture later on for you, Atb wayne

collect clots and all then just blitz it with a liquidiser, clean washing up bottles are good for laying trail. You can drag a pluck to lay a trail too

Thanks rem284 I'll have to make sure she's not about when I blitz that blood really appyour your time

Afternoon all, I'm very new to this training and firstly would like to know if one of you can tell me exactly how to collect blood, from gralloching, to storing to using. What are the top tips for this process. The one and only time I tried it the blood turned to jelly almost immediately. Also I have purchased a set of scent shoes and would ask how deep should the footprint be of the cleat when using and how do I stop the cleat opening up when I tighten the foot in the clamp. Hope you can help

1. I cut out the liver and freeze it. Then I slice off a piece and tie onto a piece of string when ready to do work. I then dab the ground every few meters with the liver. As the liver melts it gives off blood and smell.
2. You can put the liver into a squidgee bottle and squirt where you want as well.
2. Generally if a deer has been shot it runs. The running marks provide a much deeper foot print. I would have the cleats protruding 50mm below the back heal of the fartenschue. I would not worry about if the cleat open up.

If you have freezer space why not save a head, feet and save small portions of liver, lung, gut & stomach in small bags within the sack of larger collection? This will give you options for laying tracks with different sign.
Wayne may suggest focusing on collecting herd species rather than roe or munty. I understand that the focus on herd species is to favoured in Germany and Denmark as roe is sweet and addictive, but Wayne would put you right.
Best of luck
Ben

Personally I use 150ml bottles
and filter or sieve blood into those
about 3/4 full and add a tiny bit of water to it .. so it help drips easier
they do me 3-5 training tracks if you work it right
that way you only defrost what you need
on top of this
i freeze heads.. skins.. livers ..lungs..gralloch
so I can add to the mix and experiences on the tracks

Tie some rope round a Roe Deer head and just go for a walk dragging it along behind you.
Both my working Cockers tracked a head like this first time out.

Moved the head further away and repeated.

IMG_6320.jpg
I use the round pots from with lids to take into the field with me and scoop blood out of the chest cavity
when I get home
i pour into into the bottles with the tits on using the sieve
add a tiny bit of water as it makes it easier to pour when laying the track
and put in the freezer
you can then take out the freezer to defrost
i just allow enough to defrost for the track then put it back in the freezer to use another day
the round pots and leaves lids
I get from Tescos.. 3 for a £1
the blood bottles from my local BDS branch as they were selling them
but Muntjac trading sells them
i use 150ml bottles
you can use what ever you can source or make your own..hope this helps

What type of scent shoes have you got as standard and waidwerk have different fittings?

Back