Sudden death

James Todd

Hi all its with a really heavy heart that I ask this but yesterday on beaters day my 5 year old cocker bitch died .we had worked all day on a walk one stand one then a duck flight in the evening ....after the walk one stand one she was put in the car and covered with a coat as always and probably left for an hour ..I had decided not to take her down to the pond ...anyway I dropped a few ducks so thought I'd go see if she wanted to come out which she did so took her down and let her have a retrieve 10yds from the bank which she did but as she was obviously tired I just sat her in the hide with me ....she was sat licking her paws and generally cleaning herself one minute then the next she was having some sort of seizure ...I picked her up And started running to the car ....she did a sort of squeal and then went limp ...I knew in my heart she had gone but rushed to the nearest vets anyway (10 mins) where they confirmed there was nothing they could do as she had most.likely died in my arms ...she has never been unhealthy in any way at all so is there anything I could have done ...it hard thinking I wished I'd hve left her in the truck and would she have been OK if I had have done ...I thought blood sugar levels but the vet said the onset and finality of it was too quick ..I was in bit of a mess at the vets so didn't really take much in tbh

Sorry for your loss, treasure the memories, You weren't to know what was to happen, could have been exactly the same if you left her in the car.

atb Matt

Its a sad time James and obviously at 5 years unexpected.
Both my springers died working at 8 years and 9 years.
They never know when to stop or slow down.
They died quickly, appeared to be a heart attack and didnt
suffer, save for a few seconds.
Like yours a yelp, turned their heads to bite their chest , the source of the pain, then gone.

You can have a very close relationship with a working dog which makes it hard when they go.

So sorry for your loss. At least she was with you when she went - much better than the possibility she could have died alone in the truck. It's so hard when a much-loved animal goes - so sorry.

atb,
nonethewiser

Tough day mate, really feel for you. Our dogs don't lie, they're never deceitful and are full of integrity. They ask nothing of us in return for the years of pleasure we get from them except the inevitable heartache at the end. That's the trade off and as tough as it is I think it's worth it. That's why we keep coming back for more. Best of luck, the emotions are hard but the memories priceless.

Sorry to hear this, particularly with a young dog. I'm afraid I can't give you any reasons, though like the vet I'd be surprised if it was low glucose, given how sudden it was with no earlier signs.

I always try to see these things as fate. Since adulthood I have always stayed with my dogs till the spirit has gone as I'm sure they would do the same for me. I'm sure she couldn't have chosen a better way to go, with her "Dad" after a day doing what she loved. Hold on to the good times as it doesn't sound like there was anything more you could have done for her.

Back