Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opticron Discovery 10x42 or 8x50 Binoculars

Opticron Discovery 10x42 or 8x50 Binoculars

Guys and girls..................does anyone have experiance of Opticron Discovery 10x42 or 8x50 Binoculars.....Any thoughts please, I'm considering a pair in the next few days. Im quite new to stalking {although not shooting} and that will be there main purpose.

Regards,

CADEX

Regular Poster
    Hi cadex, for a low end priced pair of bins these are actualy quite good, a friend of mine is the manager of Caerlaverock Wetland Centre uses hers on a daily basis for observation and identification, thay are not heavy and for the price quite good.

Dry Powder.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex100 View Post
    Guys and girls..................does anyone have experiance of Opticron Discovery 10x42 or 8x50 Binoculars.....Any thoughts please, I'm considering a pair in the next few days. Im quite new to stalking {although not shooting} and that will be there main purpose.

Regards,

CADEX
    You'll not hear a bad word said about Opticron binos from me. They are good kit at good money. I don't have experience of the models you are after, but I do have a pair of 8x32s that I think are well worth the money, and I did have a pair of 8x42s, but sold those when I got my Swarovskis.
    Clifton Cameras is where I got mine and their service was fabulous.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I have a surplus pair of Opticron Oregon DCF 8x42's. I bought them new for approx 100 about 6 years ago, and they've only been lightly used. I'm not sure how they compare with the Discovery's, but I'm willing to sell them for 45 plus postage.

Nice glass - but the 8x42 would be easier for lowland stalking.

The lower mag = more depth of field = less focussing. It is also easier to 'resolve' the image with a lower mag set of glasses, bear in mind you will often be holding them unsupported.
    You would also benefit from a larger exit pupil = brighter image in low light.

Just my thoughts.

Rgds

Ian

hi,

i seen the other day a pair of hawke 12X50 for under a hundred quid
    fog free waterproof gas filled. had a look through not bad at all...
    just cos name i was really weary of buying them

f.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    100 they are far to good for you frank mate, be better of saving up for some 2nd hand swarovski bino's... thing is cheep bino's are better than no bino's
    Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    hi,

i seen the other day a pair of hawke 12X50 for under a hundred quid
    fog free waterproof gas filled. had a look through not bad at all...
    just cos name i was really weary of buying them

f.

Ffordes of Beauly www.ffordes.com were selling optricon oregans 8x42 at Scone Game rrp 109 were on stand at 99 but were letting them go at 79 while they are not swaros, they are a good pair of glasses for that sort of money.

Cadex,

Don't do it....i'm sure they're 'ok' optically but will they be rugged and last?

There's a company (chinese) which manufactures the binoculars for the chinese military and now offers them to the west under the name 'Artemis.' I've held them, tested them and compared them with a few brands. I'd rate them optically similar to nikon monarchs but they are much more robust and amazingly light for their magnification. I've since sent 3 pairs to a cousin and mates in afghan because the Avimo binos issued are *****, old and knackered. Just part of the MOD scrimping - we used those odd shaped binos when i was serving.

You'll find them here:
    http://www.monkoptics.co.uk/Marine/artemis

But you'll find bird watchers, observers, etc praising them if you do google searches.

Guys some great advice as usual, especially with regards to the Monk Optics {which I will be looking into a bit further}.

Cheers,

CADEX