Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullets for Boar .308

Bullets for Boar .308

Right gents got a night booked in September with IanF so just bolted a Leupold 1.25-4x20 euro 30 onto my now dedicated .308 boar rifle ready for this and two trips overseas next year. My thoughts now turn to bullets or bullet heads to be precise. I am thinking along the lines of Nosler Accubond 150gn sbt's has anyone any thoughts or even experience with these? or recomendations on others?

Thanks

Leon

Partitions, grand slams, barnes, natralis bear claws or swifts.
    Hard and bonded is the name of the game.

I've been using Winchester 180gr Round Nose soft point for the last ten years in my .308.
    Now, because I can't get them any more, am now using Sierra 180 gr Game king.
    I have also bought some PPU 170gr Grom to try this year as I saw them being used in Croatia to good effect.
    Most Boar are shot at less than fifty yards so most any bullet of .270 or up and of a reasonable weight will do the trick.
    People on Driven Boar shoots tend to go as high as possible, 9.3 etc, because with driven shoots the bullet placement is not always as accurate as it could be and on a Boar full of adrenalin needs to be seriously damaged to stop it in it's tracks.
    If you are shooting from a high seat over feed stations, bullet placement can be more accurate and will mostly drop the Boar on the spot.

Hi Leon choice of nosler 150grn will do the job.

However i seriously doubt your choice of scope, Ian hunts the same way as we do from high seats over feed stations at about 100yds.

Even with a completely clear full moon night i doubt if you will be able to see a boar through the scope.

I have had lots of stalkers try for boar using 44mil objective lens scopes (far bigger than you will use) and not be able to shoot because they cant see them at less than 100yds, I tell all of my clients to use not less than a 50mil objective lens scope.

Your scope is great for driven boar.

You will kick yourself if you sit out all night and see one but cant get a shot at it.

Quote Originally Posted by West1 View Post
    Hi Leon choice of nosler 150grn will do the job.

However i seriously doubt your choice of scope, Ian hunts the same way as we do from high seats over feed stations at about 100yds.

Even with a completely clear full moon night i doubt if you will be able to see a boar through the scope.

I have had lots of stalkers try for boar using 44mil objective lens scopes (far bigger than you will use) and not be able to shoot because they cant see them at less than 100yds, I tell all of my clients to use not less than a 50mil objective lens scope.

Your scope is great for driven boar.

You will kick yourself if you sit out all night and see one but cant get a shot at it.
    Maybe another set of leupold qr rings for my 8x56 might be in order then.

Cheers for the replies gents

I use 180gr Norma Oryx. Just the job for boar and moose.
    Last edited by Jagare; 16-07-2010 at 05:25. Reason: got bear mixed up with boar

I have used 150gr sierra prohunters on pigs in .270 and .308 and never had a problem.The pig in my avatar was shot with 150gr 308 fedral fusion ammo.I would be buying those rings for your 8x56.
    Cheers sean

For scopes the small Leupold vari is perfect for driven shooting, for late evening high seat work i would certainly use the 8x56 you have.

Bullets: like yorkshireroestalking says any strong bullet will do. Noslers in 150 or 180 grain both partition or accubond. Sako Hammerhead 180 grain. Norma PPC Vulkan or Oryx 180 grain and my all time favourite : 181 grain RWS Brenneke TUG / (new name UNI classic geschoss ). The TUG never let me down.

Just bought the rings, so zero mr 8x56 this weekend.
    I have just loaded some trial 150 noslers so see how they all perform together. I did buy 50 200 grain sierras to load and try and if I can get the neccesary velocity and the gun will handle them I might give those a go.

Leon

Very good tough bullet , for deer and boar. Federal fusion 150gr.