Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .30 06 in france

.30 06 in france

Can anyone tell me if the .30 06 can be used in france, i have been given mixed views.
    Now i know the .30 06 was designed originally as a militry cartridge, but was then shortened for better operation in automatic rifles ( .308 )
    Now as i understand there is no militry rifle that can chamber a .30 06 round, so with this shud be leagal in france.
    Can anyone give me better scope on this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roebuck270 View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the .30 06 can be used in france, i have been given mixed views.
    Now i know the .30 06 was designed originally as a militry cartridge, but was then shortened for better operation in automatic rifles ( .308 )
    Now as i understand there is no militry rifle that can chamber a .30 06 round, so with this shud be leagal in france.
    Can anyone give me better scope on this ?
    No. The french class it as a military calibre so you will not be allowed to use it I'm afraid.

It wasn't until recently that I found out the reason for this seemingly weird law, and that reason is more to do with the ammo than the calibre. Basically it's because following WWII there were thousands of abandoned weapons of German, British, American origin left scattered across the country and they believe that thousands are still there, undeclared. So by banning the use of military calibres (unless specially licensed on target ranges only) they reduce the likelihood of any of these guns being re-commissioned or misused.

So, although .30-06 isn't in use as a military cartridge any more, they don't want the population to get hold of the ammo in case they end up with tipsy old men with strings of onions around their necks running amok with dusty old M1 Garand's they have stashed away in the barn!

Alex

SD Regular
    Ah...but actually there IS a version of 30-06 legal in France. That is the "30-06 COURTY" and, like its "sister" the "303 SPORTING" it is simply the barrel set back a full turn so that it won't chamber standard 30-06 (or standard 303 British).

I think that Vectan gives loading data for the "30-06 COURTY". But weapons chambered for 30-06 or 303 British in their standard size are, as said, prohibited.

France can be an infuriating country. But this tale does show that in some respects it has a different attitude to that of GB. Whether right or wrong.

It is something that a Frenchman told me in the Loire Valley in the 1990s.

Apparently an English couple took residence in one of those small sleepy French villages.

After a while their son made friends with one of the typical "old men" that you always find in any village. The sort that would share his tales with the young boys in the village that cared to listen.

From the son they found out that the old man had a fully working Sten Gun in his possession. The mother was horrified (maybe they were from Islington) and reported it to the local policeman.

The reply was "Madame, I know that he has it and his family know that I know that he has it. He is eighty-four years old. It was his gun in the Resistance. When he dies I will visit the family and they will give it to me. If I did it now it would be disrespectful".

It can maybe be taken with a "pinch of salt" as in fact De Gaulle made great efforts disarm the Resistance after May 1945.

But that is the what I was once told by a Frenchman.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 15-07-2010 at 17:00.

Unfortunately you will not be able to take a 30-06 into the country to shoot. They'll let you transit one across the country but not use. Every border & customs office has a chart with prohibited calibres and actual scale photos. I've taken and used firearms in France a number of times. Once in and known they can be very laid back and relaxed about things but never try to 'push it' as they can get right narky.

I have a few friends living in France who took their guns with them, those included Enfields (303). In order to keep them the village gunsmith took them in, did some paperwork stating that he'd modified it in some way (which he didn't) and then handed them back.

Enfield-spares is absolutely correct about the attitudes. Hunting is very much more a social event there in which old boys bring out all manner of scary artillery.
    I once stood in a line waiting for driven boar next to one old boy with an old muzzle loader.

They tried to introduce wheel clamps to Paris, but on the 1st day of their use everyone got themselves a tube of superglue and squirted it into the locks of every wheel clamp they saw.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Ah...but actually there IS a version of 30-06 legal in France. That is the "30-06 COURTY" and, like its "sister" the "303 SPORTING" it is simply the barrel set back a full turn so that it won't chamber standard 30-06 (or standard 303 British).

I think that Vectan gives loading data for the "30-06 COURTY". But weapons chambered for 30-06 or 303 British in their standard size are, as said, prohibited.

France can be an infuriating country. But this tale does show that in some respects it has a different attitude to that of GB. Whether right or wrong.

It is something that a Frenchman told me in the Loire Valley in the 1990s.

Apparently an English couple took residence in one of those small sleepy French villages.

After a while their son made friends with one of the typical "old men" that you always find in any village. The sort that would share his tales with the young boys in the village that cared to listen.

From the son they found out that the old man had a fully working Sten Gun in his possession. The mother was horrified (maybe they were from Islington) and reported it to the local policeman.

The reply was "Madame, I know that he has it and his family know that I know that he has it. He is eighty-four years old. It was his gun in the Resistance. When he dies I will visit the family and they will give it to me. If I did it now it would be disrespectful".

It can maybe be taken with a "pinch of salt" as in fact De Gaulle made great efforts disarm the Resistance after May 1945.

But that is the what I was once told by a Frenchman.
    A guy I know in Norwich grew up on Jersey during WWII, and he says that the islands were awash with weapons after the liberation. Him and his mates were caught 3 times shooting in the woods with such things as Lugers, P38s, Mauser rifles and MP40s. It was when they got caught with the MP40 that the policeman took it a bit more seriously than cuffing them round the ear and confiscating the gun. He told their parents and threatened to fine their dads if they were caught again. Needless to say there were three sore bums on Jersey that night and their plinking days ended.
    For a few years after the war it wasn't exactly rare to find stuff on mainland UK either.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Sacrebleu !

The french arms regulation is still based on the "decret-loi" from April 18th 1939, this law was reviewed-updated in May 1995 but the guidelines were issued in 1939...

The french regulation is a perfect example of bureaucratism and politicaly oriented dogmatism.

My prefered article from the Apr 18th 1939's Law (I have a copy of it near my bed, reading such documents helps you to find your sleep... quickly), well my prefered article (Art1-III) states that weapons able to shoot category 1 (for military use) ammunition must be considered as from the category 1 (military weapons)...

So, imagine you have a K98 Mauser (claw extractor) chambered in 8X60S... if you can chamber a 8X57JS (military round) and fire it in your rifle, it has to be considered as category 1 (military weapon)... A nice example of a totaly unapplicable law...

30-06 Springfield, .308 Win, 6.5x55SE, 7x57 Mauser, 8X57JS all these superb calibers (and other military ones) are forbidden in France at least for hunting!

Otto

In the belgian Ardennes, I was shown recently a .45 colt 1911 in very good condition, this weapon was given during WWII by a tank driver who spent some weeks in my friend's familly to recover from surgery he got after beeing wounded during combat.

The .45 was along with its leather holster, the one for carry under the arm for tank drivers, the leather was showing use and the soldier's name was written at the back side of the leather with blue ink.

This weapon wasn't a weapon anymore but more a "relic" religiously shown as testimony of the past and in memories of people.

Most of these WWII relics I could see in Belgium or France were all considered as testimony of the past times.

Otto

My wife is from france so we are lucky and get invited to go boar shooting 2 or 3 times a year across thier.

You will be ok taking / using 308 as it is 7.62x51 that is banned.

Hope this helps.

Sweep

sweep I think you may be mistaken. I'm not absolutely certain because my understanding of French is very poor, but as I understand it rifles that are capable of firing a military calibre are regarded as being in the higher category (weapons of war)? Hence .275 Rigby is banned because it is effectively the same as 7x57.
    It is not impossible to own a military calibre weapon in France but you must belong to a club and the licensing system is a little more involved than if you have a hunting licence.