Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accidental Discharges

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Accidental Discharges

Apologies if this has been posted already but I read an article on this in today's Daily Telegraph, but they don't have it online so had to post the link from the Daily Mail instead:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...S-3-years.html

I don't think the spokesman for ACPO comes out of this with any credit!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Regular Poster
    I don’t think there is any such creature as an "accidental discharge" .I was always led to believe it is a "negligent discharge".

Dry Powder.

Barry

It doesn't surprise me at all...but it does shock me rigid.

A few years ago I told an armed copper off for his muzle awareness at Birmingham airport...it didn't go down well.

Barry has it correct, & are these people that are set above us & supposed to regulate us taken to task over these incidents, It seems not, as it takes a f.o.i request to bring them into the daylight, also what happened to the two remaining forces that haven't replied / answered the f.o.i requests?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Do these Police (marksmen) get taken off firearms duties when this happens or are they still allowed to PLAY with there equipment...........................

This quote got me thinking:

"A diplomatic protection officer shot himself in the leg getting into a car by mistake in September 2007."

Would he have shot himself if he had meant to get into another vehicle instead?

30% of these incidents in NI is of no surprise to me. The standard of handling I have seen here has been appalling.

I got into stonking row with a cop at a check point one night, six or seven years ago. The muzzle of his MP5 was pointing right into my car where the wife and kids were. I asked him nicely to point it elsewhere. When he failed to do this, I told him to take it to f**k somewhere else, he was not very pleased. Thought I was going to get arrested.

The numbers of guns lost and unaccounted for is scary. We had an armourer over here last year managed to get a compo claim after he shot himself in the hand, because there was no "supervision" in place. In another incident about two years ago a bunch of lads from a target shooting went to use a military range in Ballykinler. In one of the butts they found an MP5 which had been left there a few days earlier by a bunch of cops on a training day.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    30% of these incidents in NI is of no surprise to me. The standard of handling I have seen here has been appalling.

I got into stonking row with a cop at a check point one night, six or seven years ago. The muzzle of his MP5 was pointing right into my car where the wife and kids were. I asked him nicely to point it elsewhere. When he failed to do this, I told him to take it to f**k somewhere else, he was not very pleased. Thought I was going to get arrested.

The numbers of guns lost and unaccounted for is scary. We had an armourer over here last year managed to get a compo claim after he shot himself in the hand, because there was no "supervision" in place.
    In another incident about two years ago a bunch of lads from a target shooting went to use a military range in Ballykinler. In one of the butts they found an MP5 which had been left there a few days earlier by a bunch of cops on a training day.
    Just shows how their standards are allowed to fall below our own, we sweep/check both the firing points and the butts when our club uses any range, AND also any other points that may have been used by others whilst we are on site.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frax View Post
    It doesn't surprise me at all...but it does shock me rigid.
    If you really want to feel a cold chill running through you then read the IPCC report into the TVP incident: http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/tvpshooting.pdf

Quality Street tin .....left on porch overnight

What I can't find out is where this "report" into negligent discharges actually comes from. It's reported in a number of the papers today (Mirror, Mail, Telegraph) but there's no citing of the original source. If you Google on "freedom of information police discharge firearm" you can find a number of the FOI responses, but I can't find who actually compiled the results. It could be a journalist, but out of curiosity I'd be interested to know who requested all this information and why.

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 16-07-2010 at 09:51.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    In another incident about two years ago a bunch of lads from a target shooting went to use a military range in Ballykinler. In one of the butts they found an MP5 which had been left there a few days earlier by a bunch of cops on a training day.
    seriously, you'd be tempted to keep it wouldn't you

Serious question here - does pointing a loaded weapon at someone not count legally as an assault? unless there is good reason to believe you (or your children etc) may constitute a threat, then I cannot see any justification to do so.