Spaying advice

Malxwal

My lab is just about halfway after her second season, and I'm wondering what the current advice is as regards spaying as a health benefit or preemptive measure.
She was too immature after her first season, and so I've waited until after second season.
I'd have no issue not having her spayed in terms of keeping her out of the way whilst in season, and I'd not breed from her despite her good nose and gentle nature as she has a pronounced over bite. However, it's the health of the dog foremost in my mind.
All advice appreciated .

If your not going to breed her Malcolm just be done and save any accidents etc .....
I was advised to get Fern done if not planning breeding and now time if bang in between seasons .......cost depends on dogs weight but Maya is not as heavy as Fern & we were around £250 ish I think ......
Only thing is afterwards is diet needs to drop around 25% in weight fed as they will just balloon ...so needs monitoring for first while till find new sweet spot for them , depending on work load

I'm glad got it done as don't have to worry about accidents or the like any more ...our reason was High Hip scores & didn't want to pass it on .

I believe it's better for dogs who maybe more likely to go into phantom pregnancys etc and lower chance of mammary gland issues and cancers..... I think

Sure more knowledgeable wil advise more I depth

It's a personal thing IMO. There are a number of health issues related to un spayed bitches as there are with bitches that have been done. Then there is the risk of an unnecessary operation having her done. Ok small as it's a routine op, but a friend had their 2 year old Weimaraner done and it didn't recover very well from the anaesthetic, vet kept it in overnight for "observations" it was dead next morning. Bled to death from a nicked artery.
I've kept dog & bitch both in tact and never had an accident and never bred off them. I have another bitch now nearly 3 years old and won't have her done either.
Wingy

Thanks for your thoughts Wingy, and i agree there's always that risk.
However, we had a good hard think and a discussion with our vet and other folk with veterinary knowledge, did a review of available current info, and decided to get her done.
Now the issue is her ripping the wallpaper off with the dreaded cone, but thankfully so far that's the only complication.
Time will tell as to incontinence, weight gain etc, but our dogs are on strict diet control. My two spaniels are both spayed so we're quite on top of their diet.

Last edited:
Instead of the dreaded cone of shame, they now do an inflatable ring that can go round the dogs neck to prevent them licking the area. I'm not sure it is appropriate in all circumstances, but I would save the wallpaper and your shins!

Back