Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Countryside Alliance and shooting

The Countryside Alliance and shooting

We are a week away from the Game Fair, that highlight of the country show calendar which brings with it the chance for country lovers to gather in celebration of all that is great about our countryside. With the Election behind us we are all now looking ahead and planning our next moves on the campaigning front. Central to that plan of action for the Countryside Alliance is our campaign for shooting. Our work focuses on promotion, defence - and your participation.

To that end, in the coming months you will see a variety of new advertisements featuring well known shooting supporters. These supporters, including comedian Alexander Armstrong, television presenter Phil Spencer and England Rugby League star Keiron Cunningham, are the stars of the first batch of adverts, focusing on the need to take action as our lawful shooting rights are eroded. You can view the Phil Spencer advertisement at www.countryside-alliance.org.uk/

Shooting does not face direct threat of total prohibition, however, we strongly believe that your lawful rights to shoot are being taken away bit by bit and we want to work harder to help you continue to enjoy shooting. Your support can and will make all the difference. Together we can defend and promote our wonderful sport now and for the next generation; our children and grandchildren who may never get the chance to enjoy what we have experienced if we are complacent.

On promotion, the Countryside Alliance is working hard for shooting on many levels. Our Game-to-eat campaign has had notable success in taking game to a whole new audience; our moorlands campaign has just held a series of open days across our Northern moorlands o showcase the important conservation work being done by land managers and keepers across this precious landscape; National Shooting Week has done a huge amount in its few short years to open shooting up to more people than ever before, and we have much, much more to do.

You can read our views on current issues lead shot, the Cumbria shootings and game rearing on our website's shooting campaign pages at http://www.shooting-alliance.org.uk

Ahead of the new season it is worth knowing that syndicates, clubs or any group of seven or more people can join at half price for just 20 per person for the first year. In the second year it will be full price, now just 40 per person. Individual membership is 28, half price for the first year, full price for year two. If you are under 25, we'll look after you for just 7.50 for the first year. Join us now by calling our membership team on 0207 840 9300 or visit http://www.shooting-alliance.org.uk

We hope you will join the Countryside Alliance for the battles ahead and, should you be at Ragley Hall next weekend, we look forward to speaking to you in our specially designed shooting lodge on stand A60.

An excellent post with the main thrust being handled correctly, ............ but the taste of game should be shown together with how the game is procured?, maybe that way we could hear less of children not knowing where that food item came from?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Not me I'm afraid.

Following the last magnificent effort to 'big up' shooting by your spokesman Mr Barrington on the Alan Titchmarsh show, as a mere amateur I don't think I can support your organisation.

Just to refresh your memory, after his doing one on firearms use on foxes and other similar sized quarry the CA stated, "inappropriate use of firearms in amateur hands can lead to badly wounded animals", in an attempt to explain his remarks.

Guess that includes me out then.

An amateur (French amateur "lover of", from Old French and ultimately from Latin amatorem nom. amator, "lover") is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science, without pay and often without formal training. ...
    , I guess you could include me in on the basis of this definition!....... & in LATIN I would expect this to be the first & proper definitive meaning, even leaving out the "formal training we have undertaken"
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Before we go too far down the Titchmarsh incident route, can I just point out that the CA have already responded to that on here:

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...3570#post43570

Not trying to stifle debate just hoping to avoid too much repetition.

Alex, you can rely on me for repetition!.................. WOOF WOOF.![IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]
    Last edited by finnbear270; 16-07-2010 at 16:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Not me I'm afraid.

Following the last magnificent effort to 'big up' shooting by your spokesman Mr Barrington on the Alan Titchmarsh show, as a mere amateur I don't think I can support your organisation.

Just to refresh your memory, after his doing one on firearms use on foxes and other similar sized quarry the CA stated, "inappropriate use of firearms in amateur hands can lead to badly wounded animals", in an attempt to explain his remarks.
    I’m afraid that I parted ways with the Countryside Alliance when it became utterly dominated by the foxhunters & their particular agenda, to the exclusion of other fieldsports. IMHO the BASC is currently far more effective when it comes to representing the shooting fraternity.

Pretty much the same scenario down here in the West Country but with the Stag Hunting fraternity. At one time we had most deliberate damage done to highseats in areas where there was no anti activity. I wonder who could have been responsible for that?

I'm not a fan of the Countryside Alliance. And won't be supporting them. Although I agree shooting enthusiasts face tough times ahead I believe BASC offers far more for those wanting to protect their sport. I also believe that BASC has a much more credible public image than the Countrside Alliance. If you're a member of neither then I really would get on their website and learn about who they are and what they do for our sport.

Best
    MJ

We all should stand together, if by internicine struggles we will destroy ourselves!, what can be gained by singular struggles?, when the aim is so similar?