Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotting Scopes

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar

Spotting Scopes

Who uses one and what's your recommendations? I know the Greys are highly thought of...

Swarovski
    Kowa
    Minox

There will be many more makes I'm sure. With a 1k ish to blow, what would you buy?

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Mine is fairly old had it for around thirty years and it was not new when I got it

Brass slimmer than a Greys, its stamped " THE WATCHER " Specially made for Messrs John Macpherson & Sons The Sporting
    Stores Inverness

Would be interested if anyone has any info on these scopes, who they were made buy etc.

tartinjock would I be correct in assuming there is no longer a MacPherson's in Inverness, I don't visit Inverness very often
    but have never seen Macpherson's shop if its still there.

NOTE the spelling of Macpherson rather than McPherson

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    tartinjock would I be correct in assuming there is no longer a MacPherson's in Inverness, I don't visit Inverness very often
    but have never seen Macpherson's shop if its still there.
    Only Graham's and Co in Castle Street now, Orminstons and Graham's became one, Greys Gunsmiths closed probably 20 years ago. I don't remember MacPhearsons. Where were they?
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    Only Graham's and Co in Castle Street now, Orminstons and Graham's became one, Greys Gunsmiths closed probably 20 years ago. I don't remember MacPhearsons. Where were they?
    Don't have an address on the scope it just says Macpherson's sporting stores Inverness.

I remember John Orminston but more as a sporting agent used to get clients from him.

Macpherson's was at the back of Woolworths wasnt it? Turned into Inverness Guns and Tackle? Its now a phone shop iirc

http://www.vintagefishingtackle-uk.c...catalogues.htm

As for which scope? Grays is the only way forward imo
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 17-07-2010 at 00:03.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

I have an original Redfield 15-45x which is good for range work plus a new Minox with 25x that I bought as I intended to add the digiscope attachement to whenever I get around to it and I usually use my Steiner 24x80 which is not made anymore but has superb optics. I gave it to Steiner"s at the IWA show 2 years ago and the took it apart gave it a clean and regassed it and posted it back to me for the princly sum of 0.0.
    Nice service highly rate them as a company.
    Martin
    Last edited by Bavarianbrit; 17-07-2010 at 09:00.

I bought a new 'Burris' off a guy on the sites, cannot remember where was about 90.It goes to 600 + yard , clear as a whistle. best i ever used.

Well i have an old Nickel Marburg "Supra" 20-60X two draw alloy scope with it's leather case I brought off a chap in Scotland about 6-7 years ago.

I've got a Kowa with 80mm objective with 32x wide angle eye piece, fine for spotting .22 sized holes in the black at 100 yards... For 1K, I don't think you'll be able to stretch to a Leica or Swarovski unless you were to find one second hand.

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    Who uses one and what's your recommendations? I know the Greys are highly thought of...

Swarovski
    Kowa
    Minox

There will be many more makes I'm sure. With a 1k ish to blow, what would you buy?

TJ
    TJ

As someone who uses a spotting scope every day I would recommend the Minox range. At our recent open weekend Minox supported us with a range of their products which are astonishingly good value for money. Their high grade products are made in Germany with Schott glass and are phenomenal. Unfortunately I know nothing of Kowa but i think Swarovski are grossly overpriced for what they are. I have a 21-42 eyepiece on my scope and happily watch .17 holes appearing with crystal clear clarity. I also use a pair of their binoculars on a daily basis (the HG ones) again made in Germany and can happily state that they are superior to many products costing twice the money. I hope this helps, should you require any further info. please PM me.

Regards.