Thread: wild boar and deer

wild boar and deer

Hi All,
    I witnessed something interesting last night.
    I was watching a herd of approx 50 hinds with their calves, and 15 fallow.
    Happily grazing away until just before 10.00pm i noticed approx 8 reds running away from the wood, it was then i realised why, a huge wild boar running at full speed came out of the woods through the deer, then darting off in several directions causing complete mayhem.
    So i came to the conclusion he was after a calf but failed.
    Has anyone else witnessed this?

Cheers
    Richard

Whilst working in New Zealand I saw wild pigs hunting sheep. It wasn't a single animal but a sow with 5 half grown piglets all working together. Well at least causing complete mayhem untill one of them latched onto a hogget.

It didn't take much asking to get permission to sort it out for the farmer as it had been a regular problem.

The problem in my oppinion lay at the feet of the farmer who had been leaving his fallen stock at the bush edge for the pigs to clean up and it seems they had aquired a taste for lamb.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by sam evans View Post
    Whilst working in New Zealand I saw wild pigs hunting sheep. It wasn't a single animal but a sow with 5 half grown piglets all working together. Well at least causing complete mayhem untill one of them latched onto a hogget.

It didn't take much asking to get permission to sort it out for the farmer as it had been a regular problem.
    The problem in my oppinion lay at the feet of the farmer who had been leaving his fallen stock at the bush edge for the pigs to clean up and it seems they had aquired a taste for lamb.
    Sam
    , A problem not confined to this thread, some of my landowners have a tendency to launch their dead stock (hens etc) over the fence, initiating a feeding station type of effect, for my friend Reynard.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    , A problem not confined to this thread, some of my landowners have a tendency to launch their dead stock (hens etc) over the fence, initiating a feeding station type of effect, for my friend Reynard.
    I know this problem Steve, sometimes people don't seem to help themselves. JC

Just a couple of those kiwi sheep killers. Not wild boar as we know them but certainly wild.
    This was true hunting none of this shooting buisiness just good dogs and a sharp knife.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nz pig 1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	1934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nz pig 2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	1933
    Oh and a clean pair of pants in the car!

Sam

you might need more than clean pants with some of the porkers in the galleries here