taking rifles to ireland

Alan413

Hi
i am just back from a trip stalking fallow in Ireland.
had good fun but next time I want to take my own rifle.
how do I go about this.
I got the ferry from Cairnryan to Larne then drove to the west coast over the border.
any info would be great
thanks
Alan

I'd also be interested as my Mrs has family over there with land and I'm always asked to pop over for a break with the rifle but I've always put off as I don't know what needed to take it with me

I would like to know the answer as well. There must be different rules for the north and the south?

We travel to Ireland on a regular basis with firearms. We always go with stenna line , they are brilliant nothing is too much trouble with them you just tell them which vehicle has firearms when booking and when you arrive they know straight away by your reg number that you carrying guns. They have to be locked in a secure case and you can have your ammo in the same case. On arrival you will be ushered to one side and documents checked , usually put in a boarding lane on your own and on boarding you have to lock your vehicle and hand the keys over. On arrival you are greeted at the car deck and keys handed back, simple and no fuss highly recommended.
Sorry that was sailing from Holyhead to Dublin.

ire stalking

I know that I am touting my own advice , but Caorach and Glendine have also posted a lot of sound stuff on the subject

Feel free to ask in forum or pm me on matters arising. Travelling through NI you have to get a temporary permit to add to your UK cert.

Ion

If you are getting the ferry to Belfast, you will need a letter of invitation from the chief constable there, they will want to know the rifle details ammo etc and you will need to send them a copy of your firearms permit (takes a few weeks to process). For the south you will need a European firearms permit, you will need to apply for a temporary southern Ireland firearms permit and a deer hunting licence, if you are going with a guide he will be able to provide the land details etc for the garda. it is pretty straight forward, ive done it a number of times but be warned the southern Ireland Garda wont accept photo copies of your permits and mine have got lost once. Also make sure you allow plenty of time as it is a slow process.

Alan

When you get all your paperwork make sure you have a stout waterproof bag to keep it in!:rolleyes:
( The last day of the fallow doe season - gales and rain all day)

Good luck
Ion

Back