Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferrets

Ferrets

Hi could anyone tell me if my Jill Ferret needs to be lined? Someone told me she could die if
    not mated. Thanks Jedi

It is a good idea to get her lined with a vasectomised Hob or get the jill jab from your vet.

I was going to get my two speyed but went for a "superloran" implant which keeps them out of season for upto 2 years.

There are very few fert keepers near me with hoblets and I wasn't too keen on the jill jab and reverted to the implant, expensive yes, but at the end of the day its their welfare and condition which is my priority

There are a few dedicated forums you can look through for further advice out there.

Rigboot

Rb,

knowing nothing about ferrets and not intending getting any, i read this with interest.
    why could she die if not lined

frank.

curious....

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    Rb,

knowing nothing about ferrets and not intending getting any, i read this with interest.
    why could she die if not lined

frank.

curious....

I'm no expert but having consulted vets and fellow ferret owners, the general train of throught Frank is basically if the jills are not taken out of season, the persistent oestrus produces excessive hormone production & oestradiol, which is bone marrow suppression, and a high chance of aplastic anemia.

All the above leads to loss of condition and high chance of infection etc if left in season without using any of the previously mention methods of bringing them out.

There are pro's and con's for each method but then it's down to the owners to make a responsible decision on which route to take.

Hope that explains a little ?

Cheers

Rb

Jedi, what area do you live in?
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

cheers Rb,

from that i assume that once her season starts she will not stop till she is lined.... whow.

cheers mate f.

Jedi, if you pm me a more exact location i may be able to set you up with a vasectomised hob.
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Thanks basil,

I have just got a well handled vasectomised hob from Ferret rescue near Leeds.
    jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rigboot View Post
    I'm no expert but having consulted vets and fellow ferret owners, the general train of throught Frank is basically if the jills are not taken out of season, the persistent oestrus produces excessive hormone production & oestradiol, which is bone marrow suppression, and a high chance of aplastic anemia.

All the above leads to loss of condition and high chance of infection etc if left in season without using any of the previously mention methods of bringing them out.

There are pro's and con's for each method but then it's down to the owners to make a responsible decision on which route to take.

Hope that explains a little ?

Cheers

Rb
    That pretty much explains it, I don't keep ferrets any longer just don't have enough rabbits these days, but when I did used to line them but it was not always easy to get rid of youngsters, keeping a vasectomised hob is the easiest solution.

If anyone wishes their jills to be lined come the spring drop me a PM. I'm in SW Scotland.
    I have two cracking polecats hobs {from Bogtrotter funnily enough} who have massive stones and would shag the button holes on a fur coat.