Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 243 or 308?

243 or 308?

I have slots for a .243 & .308 but at the moment just funds for one rifle,most of my stalking will be Fox & Roe and I was wondering which would be most suitable? Can anyone advise please.

man 243 is perfect not the 308 thats to much for fox.if you dont keep the pelts and want to smack teh hell out of the foxs then get the 308 eheh but its over kill with Roe what is roe?????? sorry i do not kow what that is

OK. I used an issue .243 for many years. I got used to it and it's limitations and where I worked it was fine.

But it has its limitations at 105 grains and there are those who will claim that it has a tendency to destroy a lot of meat. It is also more wind-prone if you have to reach out a bit.

The .308, (And I use a fairly heavy model, Mannlicher SSG, for increased stability with the larger round), can be loaded down to 110 grains and up to 200 grains - maybe more if such bullets are available.

So, The .308 is a more versatile rifle from foxes and roe - right up to bigger deer and boar if you later have the opportunity.

I'd say to try for a stock which has a butt which has no drop at heel, so the line of the barrel is as close in a straight line to the shoulder as possible. This helps a lot in reducing upward flip.

Having said that - Most seem to use sound moderators these days, and this helps a lot. I'd be a bit canny abut having a slim barrel fitted with a moderator though - but that's just my opinon.

If you are going for new - then you have all the options open within the possibilities of your price bracket. I'd work on getting as much practical advice as you can. There's some superb rifles straight out of the box these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    man 243 is perfect not the 308 thats to much for fox.if you dont keep the pelts and want to smack teh hell out of the foxs then get the 308 eheh but its over kill with Roe what is roe?????? sorry i do not kow what that is
    HARLEY, CHECK OUT OUR HOMEPAGE, you'll see the various deer on there incl the Roe!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

yes ok im on the ball now ehehheh. cheers

thanks, sounds like good advice and I have seen a Mannlicher ssg .308 for sale somwhere if I can only remember where!

Either calibre is suitable for your intended use, .243. son of .308 , fast & flat, .308 good all rounder, just a little harder to get used to trajectory wise, but good for all the main quarry in Europe as well?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

File:30calCOMPAREdropMOA.png

pop this in google & you will get a trajectory curve chart .
    Last edited by finnbear270; 18-07-2010 at 13:29.

Jedi,

You'll be needing The Force if you plan on lugging an SSG for any great distance around the countryside. Horses for courses though.

Good luck,

Tim