Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: land checks

land checks

I recently had two farms checked by West Yorkshire F.L.O.both have adjoining boundaries,
    my rifles are .243 & .308, the terrain is the same on both farms yet the response was I would be ok up to .308 on one farm but because the other was only passed for a .223 I couldn't use them on there.Doesn't make sense to me, has anyone had similar experience & what can I do about it ? Jedi

hi,
    where are you mate, and what acreage are you talking about on each farm

f.

Hi,
    they are about 200 acres each.

Without seeing the topography of these farms, it's hard to visualize why the flo has made this decision, (if you can quantify it as such), maybe he hasn't looked hard enough & is relying on a previous clearance of the one farm on it's own & rather than rock the boat, has left it as said?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

you boys do seem to have some funny restrictions placed on you, you been south of the border.
    does one have houses on the outer areas of it or farm buildings.
    is one more hilly than the other

f

It's more likely to be a bit of reluctance to overturn a previous flo's decision to clear for up to .223.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I just cannot get my head around this ...I mean exactly how much more dangerous is a .308 over a .223 ????
    Surely if its passed for a centerfire then its passed ...
    The more I read these posts regarding make up as you go along conditions ,the more I realise the next time I see my feo i'm going to kiss him like a movie star .

Quote Originally Posted by Brough View Post
    I just cannot get my head around this ...I mean exactly how much more dangerous is a .308 over a .223 ????
    Surely if its passed for a centerfire then its passed ...
    The more I read these posts regarding make up as you go along conditions ,the more I realise the next time I see my feo i'm going to kiss him like a movie star .
    welcome to the Asylum friend!................... Funny enough, this reminds me, I drove the truck through a place called , "BEDLAM" last week!

I shoot over a farm that had previously been cleared for rimfire only (very flat and bordered by a main road and the motorway!) and I had been asked to control the foxes. My police force refused to put fox on my .17HMR so the only option was to go centrefire. Therefore, with the aid of a google earth printout, I managed to drag the FEO out again so that I could show him where all the safe angles were etc. He then agreed to sign it off for .223.... but "only for me".

The chances are whoever shot your land only asked for .223 clearance in the past so that is all they cleared the land for. Get a map/printout or whatever and ask to meet your FEO and take him through it.

Alex

They are both in the Dales,the land is hill country surrounded by Heather moorland and Sheep out number people 200-1 !