SAKO or BLASER

steveford1

I have a 243 & 308 Sako Hunters I fancy a change of rifles i hear so much about the blaser R93 how good & accurate they are is this correct i know German engineering is good. I have thought a synthetic stock would be more practicle than wood, is there any good deals out there due to the new R8, i am sure someone will point we in the right direction.

I have had a r98 and now a r8 both in synthetic. They were/are both very accurate, esily shooting half inch groups, the big plus for me is the safety system but the straight pull bolt is not for everyone....i have not heard of anyone who has bought one and regreted it, and you are right there will be somegood deals on r93's now the new one is available, good luck finding one.

steve

I would say both are good rifles and it comes down to personal choice and what takes your fancy. I have very limited experience with a Sako but own an R93. As suggested there may be a lot of people upgrading to the R8 and so now might be the time to buy an R93. I haven't shot an R8 yet but it seems to me not to offer very much advantage, in fact perhaps some disadvantage, over the R93 unless you want some of the really big Africian calibers. MacLeods of Tain often have lots of 2nd hand stock so worth a browse around there but I would suggest that you shoot one before you even consider buying it as it might not suit you.

For me the big advantages the R93 offers are the practical ones especially went stalking away from home or in adverse conditions - breaks down for transport, breaks down to clean when wet, packs away into a small case, goes back to zero after being taken apart, very rust proof steel with the outside of the barrel treated, generally accurate and dependable, you only need one stock for two barrels etc. On the down side the cocking mechanism can be quite stiff until you get used to it but once you have the technique it just seems to work, the bolt is not to the taste of everyone, they are very expensive as are the scope mounts and many people who buy one end up with a house full.

I've never owned a Blaser, can't judge the quality. They have one big advantage: the OAL is shorter for the same barrel lenght, compared with most other rifles. I am not a moderator man, but if you are this can be important. Also easier to manipulate in a car. But we all know that Sako has an excellent reputation of being a quality rifle.

Thanks lads some good points raised i have spoke to a guy today who has offered me a try on his R93 in 25.06 cal i think its going to be a lot different to the Sako .I will let you know the verdict thanks Steve

there is times that i would love a blazer :drool:,nice ,tidy ,compak ,lite ,short . that is untill i get in behind my 75 ,with 6 on board among the hinds :smug:

I would say both are good rifles and it comes down to personal choice and what takes your fancy. I have very limited experience with a Sako but own an R93. As suggested there may be a lot of people upgrading to the R8 and so now might be the time to buy an R93. I haven't shot an R8 yet but it seems to me not to offer very much advantage, in fact perhaps some disadvantage, over the R93 unless you want some of the really big Africian calibers. MacLeods of Tain often have lots of 2nd hand stock so worth a browse around there but I would suggest that you shoot one before you even consider buying it as it might not suit you.

For me the big advantages the R93 offers are the practical ones especially went stalking away from home or in adverse conditions - breaks down for transport, breaks down to clean when wet, packs away into a small case, goes back to zero after being taken apart, very rust proof steel with the outside of the barrel treated, generally accurate and dependable, you only need one stock for two barrels etc. On the down side the cocking mechanism can be quite stiff until you get used to it but once you have the technique it just seems to work, the bolt is not to the taste of everyone, they are very expensive as are the scope mounts and many people who buy one end up with a house full.

I would say the r8 is not better than r93 but has a nicer feel, the stock's fore end is stifer and has a better shape and the magazine makes life a little easier allthough i never found it a problem on the r93. Its not worth the extra money over a good second hand 93 but it is definatly worth the extra over a new 93.

steve

Back