Thread: Two Beautiful German Ladies

Hi Josh
    They look great, not long now I guess. Be interested in popping over to have a look at them when they arrive. Thanks to you things are going well this end.

Tracking and Training
    www.deertrackingservices.co.uk

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Hi Josh

May I ask a question about Bavarians? (I guess they are Bavarians.) When you are not stalking and just taking them for a walk, do you have to keep them on a lead at all times? I have heard that one should or they will take off at the first interesting scent. True or not?

Chris.

Hi Chris

The two in the pic are not Bavarians they are both Hanoverians. When I walk them I do not have them on a lead.

Quote Originally Posted by NewForester View Post
    When you are not stalking and just taking them for a walk, do you have to keep them on a lead at all times? I have heard that one should or they will take off at the first interesting scent. True or not?
    Chris,

I have a nearly 5 month old Bavarian pup, (Zerno kennel), that I'm bringing on, so he's quite lively at times. Even at this age he is a pleasure to take out walking in the woods off the lead. Although he is into every scent that's going, when he's not actually hoovering up every smell next to me he will only go out about 20 metres on the path in front of me, (never taking off to the side), and keeps glancing back at regular intervals. If I stop, he stops. If I start looking through the binos he comes and stands or sits next to me and takes an interest in what I'm doing.

The only time he will deviate from this is if we are returning to the van and 'backtracking', when I command him to get on. He then gets his head down and follows my earlier foot scent unfailingly until I whistle to him to stop, or I let him go to the vehicle when it's in sight. I've even deliberately walked away from the van at the start on one side of the track or the other to test him, and he will always follow the ground scent precisely. Amazing dogs!