Fancy a new Merk?

From the FAQ:

A left-handed version is not planned for the next two years.

There goes that idea :)

It does look like a lovely rifle but I don't see that it offers anything over and above my Blaser other than the handy bolt head that you can stick in your pocket. As with most people my rifle has the bolt out of it most of the time but that big Blaser bolt isn't dead easy to carry around :) However, I don't think that is enough to make me change to the Merkel nice as it is. In saying that I think it offers an interesting additional choice to someone who might be considering the likes of Blaser assuming the left hand thing is not an issue for them. More choice is always a good thing.

I'm a bit of a Merkel fan. I have a shotgun and a combi made by Merkel. I have given the Merkel a quick look over in our local gun shop. A very nice rifle but can't say they really ring my bell.
I was taken by the very short tracker model . One of those in 9.3x62 would make you sit up and take notice when you fired it i would think.
Merkel had a big stand at the Elmia game fair last year and they had the full range of their rifles on display plus i got quite moist fondling their custom drillings and double rifles.
Roll on next May when Elmia is on again.

www.prokennel.se

...i got quite moist fondling their custom drillings and double rifles.

Have you tried using VP90? :)

The number of switch barrel/take down rifles coming to the market of late clearly reveals the current fashion within the industry - Blaser, Mauser, Mannlicher, Fabarm, Sauer, Merkel and even Browning. It can only be a matter of time before Sako jump on the band wagon with a centrefire equivalent of the Quad. Bring it on, I say!

Myself in the early 60s with an old Merkel 7X65R over/under. I shot 6 species of Deer and a Chamois with it.
HWH.
P1010163.jpg

Call me antiquated if you will but I don't like these cocker/de-cocker systems :old: to my mind it's solution looking for a problem.

As for the bolt head design it's just a re-hash of the old Ross M10 which itself was based on the cannon breech.

So no I will not be rushing out to look at them and if someone wanted to gift one........................................................................... well let's say I could find much betetr things to putt e money too ;).

Well yes there is that to it. Hammers sort of passed their day in the 19th century firstly with the Martini then of course the Lee Metford for us Brits. Germans went with the Commission rifle then the Mauser.
Now a fine proper hammer gun is a thing of grace and elegance in most cases. there new re-hash ideas I am sorry to say still appear to be a solution looking for a problem and not the solution itself.

Hi this ismy first post I'm originaly from Essex but know live in Sydney I hsd a chance to check okut the Merkel tracker at an importers the other day its a rearly nice short rifle
Originaly I was going to get my 3006 a 9.3x62 18" barrel but after seeing the tracker it is on my wish list

I have just sold my 458 so I have put an order in for a Merkel tracker in 9.3x62 in the futchure I hope to get a 7x57 barrel for it does anybody have any advice on how short you can go with a 7x57 barrel

I have just sold my 458 so I have put an order in for a Merkel tracker in 9.3x62 in the futchure I hope to get a 7x57 barrel for it does anybody have any advice on how short you can go with a 7x57 barrel

I believe Mannlicher Schoenauer made their carbines in 7x57 with a 19" or 20" barrel . Ruger made the 77RSI with an 18 1/2" barrel . Seems to me the Ruger #1RSI is about 20" and the #1A is 22" I think .

My Merkel tracker turned up it's overall length is only 3"1/16 which is great in the thick bush of the high county in Victoria the home of the Samba, it has great open sights I had originally mounted a Docter reflex sight on it but I was using a Mak netic mount which effected the Dockters magnetic switch so until a mount arrives from Germany it has my 4x kaps on it, I thought the recoil would be significant due to the light weight and short barrel but it is not much more than my old 3006 I'm very happy with it
Karl

For my eyes, there is nothing aesthetically pleasing about that rifle. In fact, it is beyond ugly. I will stick with Blaser.

I agree its not meant for sitting in a high seat dressed in tweed but it can't be beat crawling through the thick blackberries looking for Samba

Last edited:
old_thread.jpg

Sorry - I just like this image. :coat:

I've never shot one, but I do like the look of the Merkels. One for the future perhaps......

regards

Back