Thread: karl caps scopes

karl caps scopes

hi does anyone have first hand expirence of the above mentioned scopes ive done the google thing etc and seen all the technical data and they seen on par with other austria/ german optics only ive never herd of them and as ive just bough one not arrived yet i was wondering what people think any advice would be good cheers Brian

The don't have a model that I need.
    I've looked at them every year when I pass their stand at the
    IWA. The scopes are very close to S&B classic.
    Good solid quality, I would rate them slightly above doctor optics.
    They had new binos on the stand which where to die for but these
    where just the prototypes.
    Smallisch sized family company. I bet the service is good.

edi

Thats how I would rate them too Edi.
    Kaps have been on the market for years and are more renound for thier medical optics side of the company, ( microscopes and the type of things that opticians use) I think they got into scope manufacture because one of the chiefs was a hunter and they then also started manufacturing scopes under brand names for companies like Frankonia and Kettner back in the 70's and gradualy imporved -modernised thier sport optics products as they went along and then finaly began selling under thier own banner.
    They are not up with the state of the art S&B-Zeiss-Swarovski current models, but are a generaly reliable workhorse of a scope with no frils, bells or whistles. A fair comparison to the S&B of 10 to 15 years ago of the S&B Hungarian models, certainly worth a look .

Pete

I have been using one for the past two years with a 30mm tube and a red point. I have Used all the top German makes over my years hunting and this is at least as good as a SB. I like mine very much and would not change it. I use it on a 30.06, very good in low light conditions. When you get into this league of scopes there is very little between the top makes. Glad to see you are going for a good scope, many hunters still buy cheap scopes and think they are saving money. All they really do is reduce their hunting buy 30 minutes each session because their optics are so bad they cannot see what they are shooting at.

Can anyone tell me who in the UK supplies these, or where I could have a look through a pair of the binoculars?

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swatty View Post
    hi does anyone have first hand expirence of the above mentioned scopes ive done the google thing etc and seen all the technical data and they seen on par with other austria/ german optics only ive never herd of them and as ive just bough one not arrived yet i was wondering what people think any advice would be good cheers Brian
    The name is Karl Kaps.
    As I understand it they are very good, but the German hunters being extreme conservatives tend to go for the bigger names thats why the quality is generally so high due to the resistance to using c**p. when they buy a once every 20 years scope which may get used 4-5 days per week, so they are only slowly becoming more known here, but they are not to be compared with Jap/yank 2nd level stull. As the post said if you buy 2nd level you will hunt less time per day.
    I have a Hertel & Reuss 6x42 which is also a less known make and the brightness/clarity is superb but they only now available as 2nd hand as they closed in 1995.
    Martin

well all that helps as ive bit the bullet and bought one just from what i read on the technical side but i was a bit worried as they are relatily unherd of but you lot have certainly eased my mind thanks

i have been look on the web but can not find a dealer, where are you getting yours from?

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by charlie 1 View Post
    i have been look on the web but can not find a dealer, where are you getting yours from?

charlie
    its second hand from a mate there are no uk dealers but on the offcial web site they are looking for us dealers so it maybe a chance for a uk dealer to stock them i believe that you can buy them from the us tax free and it works out around 65 dollars to post them

i just got my kaps scope today 2.5 / 10 / 56 30 mm tube on first impressions it seems very good the only problem is that its pi**** dwn all day so ive not got out to try it and zero rifle and i was hoping to try for a buck in the morning typical britush weather 4 months of hot weather followed by 2 weeks of solid rain and still a hosepipe ban