20 MOA Riser

MrTrigger

Hi,

I have a question, the answer would seem obvious to me from the get go but I thought I would throw in a post and make sure I am right (not sure if I have posted in the right place here either, so sorry if that is the case)

I have bought an 20 MOA rail to raise my scope up a 1/2" I did not necessarily need the extra MOA as my scope zeroed at 600 (with about 2 MOA left to go up) and we don't shoot out beyond that really (The scope was mounted just a bit low for it to be comfortable). The first risers I tried were 2 separate 1/2" ones and the threads on them stripped after firing about 20 rounds (but raised the scope the correct height for it now to be comfortable on the cheek), I saw this 20 MOA and figured the extra MOA's would not be too bad a thing to have (seeing as I only had a couple left to play with) and more importantly, the fasteners to the picatinny rail are proper Allan Keys and are milled into the unit and there are 3 of them. (The previous risers were a form of quick release type ones with a "butterfly" type fastener to tighten them up)

In any case that was more about the history of why I decided on the 20 MOA, theoretically now having mounted this rail to my gun and my scope was previously zeroed on the 0 MOA rail, would that mean I can DOPE the scope down 20 MOA's (more or less) and it should theoretically be ok? (Obviously zeroing would still be done and a requirement after doing this) but I just wanted to check that I understood this correctly. I have seen other posts where guys have bought so called 20 MOA rails and they turned out to be like a 15 or something, so saying that all the mathematics are correct in terms ow what it say son the tin, would the DOPE down be correct?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

theoretically now having mounted this rail to my gun and my scope was previously zeroed on the 0 MOA rail, would that mean I can DOPE the scope down 20 MOA's (more or less) and it should theoretically be ok? (Obviously zeroing would still be done and a requirement after doing this) but I just wanted to check that I understood this correctly. I have seen other posts where guys have bought so called 20 MOA rails and they turned out to be like a 15 or something, so saying that all the mathematics are correct in terms ow what it say son the tin, would the DOPE down be correct?

Hi Mr Trigger,

Adjusting the scope 15 or 20 minutes for elevation won't make a huge difference on a zero card at 25 yards. 20 minutes is only a shift of 5 inches on a target at 25 yards.

Regards,

I put a 20moa rail on my 243 and also changed the rings from standard Leupold s to QRW. From memory I wound team scope down 20moa and started to zero from there and it was only a few clicks out on elevation and windage

basically, yes, however all ammo travels in a curved trajectory, and even the same caliber will vary depending upon the weight of the bullet and speed . also depends on how good your scope is, on quite a lot of scopes, if you dial in elevation for distance, make a note of settings, change your distance, and then come down to zero on original distance ........your scope is on a different setting? sometimes on rather expensive ones. So, I would say take the 20 moa as a rough guide only .

Back