Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fewer roe twins around this year?

Fewer roe twins around this year?

On our patch in Berks it's very common to see roe does with twins, in fact last year it was pretty much the norm. So far this year, I've not seen a single set of twins (but plenty of single fawns).

Got me thinking, is this due to the hard winter? But the does were well pregnant by the time the hard weather struck which would mean they'd have needed to abort one of the fetuses.

Any thoughts?

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 75 View Post
    On our patch in Berks it's very common to see roe does with twins, in fact last year it was pretty much the norm. So far this year, I've not seen a single set of twins (but plenty of single fawns).

Got me thinking, is this due to the hard winter? But the does were well pregnant by the time the hard weather struck which would mean they'd have needed to abort one of the fetuses.

Any thoughts?
    Thats exactly what may have happened which only a few creatures are able to do the other British Mammal
    capable of doing this is a Badger ,No other British deer species can do this and its been a on going study by scientists for a number of years why this unusual occurance takes place
    Conclusions so far in the studies done as you say in your post revolve around Habitat and adverse weather conditions and if bad weather is present during the Does Pregnancy during her period od suspended implantation then indeed she is capable of nuturally aborting or absorbing either one or both foetuses.

Up here in near Edinburgh, have seen plenty of does but not a lot in the way of fawns, nor any twins.

Couple of bucks I shot early in the season were just skin and bones and in very poor condition, but they seem to be looking a lot better now.

Fewer roe twins around this year?

Count yourself lucky,On my ground in the scottish borders ive see plenty of does but no fawns at all,spoke to the local keeper and he confirmed my worries,seems the harsh long winter has had an adverse effect.
    ATB JOHN

I find at this time of year although I have seen a few, the kids are tending to sit in heavy cover even when mum is moving about. I would give it 6 weeks to eight weeks before I made any statements on trends from this years young but I wouldn't be surprised to find that you are right.

I am told Muntjack dont fair well in bad weather is any one noticing their numbers have been knocked back?

Dave

While i has seen quite a few sets of twins my roe did well over the bad weather but they have great feeding and cover. But if the does weight falls below a certain level this will i am told cause the animal to absobe the one or both young other animals do this also while they do not have the luxury of DI Like roe and mustalids they will still have fewer young if they are not in good body condition. Dogs are famous for it .

Only seen on set of twins, all the rest have been singles. Strange when the yearlings I shot at the end of the doe season carried such good average body weights and seemed none the worse for the harsh winter.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Only seen on set of twins, all the rest have been singles. Strange when the yearlings I shot at the end of the doe season carried such good average body weights and seemed none the worse for the harsh winter.
    I would agree 100% with jamross65 have seen loads of singles, saw my first set of twins tonight. Also seems strange as the does I was shooting towards the end of the season wer in good nick with fat in them despite the weather and nearly all those that were pregnant were with twins. Perhaps they are sitting tight and they'll all pop up soon , hope so!

On our ground near Dumfries we found alot of dead yearlings in the spring, I think it was 7 or 8, including two sets of twins found dead together, and I guess there was even more we did not find in the forestry plantations. We will of course assess numbers as the year progresses but have already discussed reducing our normal doe cull this winter.

Just seen the first twins this year on my ground,they are both still in spots and are very small.About 2 weeks ago i found a dead doe that had been hit by a car near to the place where ive just seen the kids.
    They look like they are in good condition but are still very small.
    Does this come into a welfare issue or just to leave them and see what happens,i was thinking of putting a few licks out and some feed for them so if it was there mother that was killed then at least they can have a good chance of surviving.