Stop the IBC going green

Sans Culottes

Hi

I have two IBC tanks mounted on towers feeding water through bell feeders in the release pens. They are painted black to minimise growth of algae and the chance of the water turning green.

The systems have been drained for the off season, but I suspect that the tanks will go green just because the humidity in them ( new system last year so no experience of what happens yet).

Would it be better to:

1) Fill them with water so that any algae is kept moist and hopefully flushes away on emptying
2) Leave them empty
3) Fill them with water and add some swimming pool chlorine. Obviously they will need to be drained and flushed before use.
4) Do something else

Plenty of water available, no power for pressure washing so need to avoid going green in the first place.

Hoping someone with experience can help this amateur accidental keeper.

Thanks

who cares I just spend 20 mins before I refill with a pressure washer and a splash of jeyes
swill out and put a silage bag on connect up to system bobs yr uncle

who cares I just spend 20 mins before I refill with a pressure washer and a splash of jeyes
swill out and put a silage bag on connect up to system bobs yr uncle

I think the problem is the location, which rules out power washing. Which is the same for me. Where mine are, there's no power and no water. The IBC's are filled up from another IBC on a trailer. But I get what you say, you just let it go at the end of the season and clean it out before next use. Which is what happens with me. No easier way it seems.

Back