Thread: Tick licks

Tick licks

Does anyone know of any anti tick licks for deer or of trials going on to combat the increasing tick problem?

I used mite-y-lick a couple of years back on an enclosed herd of 140 reds. The blocks were expensive and initially the deer ate them like sweeties and i started to worry about the bank balance.
    The results however were really pretty impressive. After 3mths the deer were almost tick free with any ticks that were still attached moribund. On carcasses you could see scabs where ticks had been and on inspection the mouth parts were still attached, so result!
    Now i cant find any block or treatment anywhere. I know the Americans have something called a "four poster" which is basically a bait station that the deer use and rub against a roller to recieve a tick treatment. I can see in some bad tick areas having to start something similar if not for the deers sake then for the knock on human health / tourism.
    But it will probably take a high profile celeb to come down with lymes disease to stir up enough attention to get anything done

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    stuff the deer me & the dog will be licking em!! the wee b#####ds make me sick . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by pitiliedon View Post
    Does anyone know of any anti tick licks for deer or of trials going on to combat the increasing tick problem?

I used mite-y-lick a couple of years back on an enclosed herd of 140 reds. The blocks were expensive and initially the deer ate them like sweeties and i started to worry about the bank balance.
    The results however were really pretty impressive. After 3mths the deer were almost tick free with any ticks that were still attached moribund. On carcasses you could see scabs where ticks had been and on inspection the mouth parts were still attached, so result!
    Now i cant find any block or treatment anywhere. I know the Americans have something called a "four poster" which is basically a bait station that the deer use and rub against a roller to recieve a tick treatment. I can see in some bad tick areas having to start something similar if not for the deers sake then for the knock on human health / tourism.
    But it will probably take a high profile celeb to come down with lymes disease to stir up enough attention to get anything done

My observation in South Africa this year is that tick treatment is administered by contact rollers at baited feeding stations, not by ingestion. Initial capital outlay but the outfitters say it is the most effective. You know the cycle on your land and hit each animal species at the right time.

Stan

Do these treatments have any sort of implications for human consumption? There wouldn't be any effective way of knowing or controlling how much a deer consumes, would there?

Account Suspended
    Best way to get rid of ticks is approach a friendly farmer and borrow some of his sheep for a fortnight ,let them loose on the ground, let them mop the ticks up then round the sheep up and get them dipped, those woolly back barstards dont half hoover them up.
    The only draw back if you let them loose in blanket spruce they are a right son of a bitch getting them out again after.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Do these treatments have any sort of implications for human consumption? There wouldn't be any effective way of knowing or controlling how much a deer consumes, would there?
    Same as any hobby farmer buying in stock to fatten up and sell on when market price allows him to make a profit

Stan

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    ha ha thats a good idea, the cost of sheep these days prob works out more cost effective
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    Best way to get rid of ticks is approach a friendly farmer and borrow some of his sheep for a fortnight ,let them loose on the ground, let them mop the ticks up then round the sheep up and get them dipped, those woolly back barstards dont half hoover them up.
    The only draw back if you let them loose in blanket spruce they are a right son of a bitch getting them out again after.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by calmac View Post
    ha ha thats a good idea, the cost of sheep these days prob works out more cost effective
    It works honest not so many farmers are keen on you doing it though.

Mind you another way would be go to the auction mart buy 1/2 doz about 30 sponnies apiece when you have done with them take them to the abatoirs anf get your money back so all the cost you is your time but you have shifted your tick infestation.

Anyone like lamb by the way
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 20-07-2010 at 20:52.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    nice 1 i like that
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    It works honest not so many farmers are keen on you doing it though.

Mind you another way would be go to the auction mart buy 1/2 doz about 30 sponnies apiece when you have done with them take them to the abatoirs anf get your money back so all the cost you is your time but you have shifted your tick infestation.

Quote Originally Posted by pitiliedon View Post

I was the instigator/"inventor" of one of the blocks and brought in a few of the four posters to try out.

The US four poster was completely trashed by the Sika we had it in with, it was very expensive for what it was [waste of time].

We also brought in a South African system which was excellent.[it's working on 2 estates with enclosed deer]

There are however problems with these systems

* Using chemical off label
    *Proving that the deer are under your care
    *proving the animals are getting the right dosage
    *ensuring you have a clean period prior to culling
    *Getting the consent from your vet , to administer the chemical
    *funding for trials

Although plenty of estates [the keepers] were very interested very few owners were willing to invest also it ain't a simple process and I found it dificult to keep keepers/stalkers on side when following trial protocols.
    I had some very positive conversations with politicians at Hollyrood and many are onside but the main worry for most when dealing with ticks is Human health the most cost effective control is to educate people on the risks and how to safely remove them.
    I think it is pretty much impossible to control ticks on wild deer, sheep are very effective but only if there are no deer. There are some big concerns out there about acaracides and their use.

However you can effectively control tick on farmed / enclosed deer , if you've any queries then just pm me for a chat.