Fish only diet for my springer

Hasbeen

Been told by the vet, this morning, to feed my springer nothing but fish for the next 4-5 weeks to see if it helps with an alergy.

What he didn't tell me, though, was how much to give her. A quick Google came up with (as usual) a lot of information but none of what I was looking for.

She's 23kg but muscle more than fat and leads a fairly active lifestyle including 2x 1hr walks a day and coming shooting with me several times a week. Any idea how much she will need daily (she gets 1 meal a day but usually leaves about a third of it to eat during the night)?

Is the vet's wife a fishmonger? This sounds expensive!
I guess you'd look up the calorific content of her normal food (on the packet?), then google the calorific content of whatever fish you get her - and calculate the relevant amount. Doesn't sound like a complete or satisfactory diet to me though. Did he prescribe any vitamin supplement?

Is the vet's wife a fishmonger? This sounds expensive!
I guess you'd look up the calorific content of her normal food (on the packet?), then google the calorific content of whatever fish you get her - and calculate the relevant amount. Doesn't sound like a complete or satisfactory diet to me though. Did he prescribe any vitamin supplement?

That's what I thought. I'm keen to give it a fair chance though. I'll just need to keep an eye on her overall condition I guess

With a fish diet like that a swim in the sea should be a real treat. It will swim like a seal! :D

Joking apart I hope it works, a change of diet is probably better than using drugs.

David.

Id be a bit wary of just using 1 fish for that long you can prob get frozen blocks of white fish on line. When foot and mouth started i remember a program about foxhounds kenneled on a farm going on to a fish diet mainly cod and salmon carcase filleted from a chip shop and smokery. I used to get cod trimmings from a chip shop containing the pinbones my dogs loved it but i fed a complete mixed diet. Hope this helps jake

Make sure the fish has been frozen for 2 weeks minimum, look at one of the dog food suppliers for frozen minces such as Bulmers etc will work out much cheaper.

Make sure the fish has been frozen for 2 weeks minimum, look at one of the dog food suppliers for frozen minces such as Bulmers etc will work out much cheaper.

Pardon my ignorance, Why does it need to be frozen for 2 weeks?

Deffinitely going to be expensive - I work for fish merchant (wholesaler); a ten pound box of plaice/haddock/cod (frozen) costs around thirty quid.

A forty pound box of the same, starts at around one hundred pounds (depending on size and quality of fish).

As mentioned above, it will save you a lot of money, if you can get supplies of offcuts from chip shops - most chip shops buy frozen fish, often frozen at sea,
so by the time that they get it, it has definitely been frozen for more than two weeks.

Back