Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moderator Care?

Moderator Care?

Just following on from the thread about cleaning a rifle, it got me thinking about moderators. I may be a bit niave here, but do moderators require any maintenance? I have an ASE Ultra S5 and have checked the information supplied with it and there is no mention of cleaning etc. They must eventually get dirty enough to effect performance or bullet trajectory.

well ive got the ASE northstar , and the only bit of cleaning thats is mentioned is spray with some wd40 inside , and remove from the barrel after shooting and also to keep the thread lightly greased !

and thats from the destructions !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I have a Northstar and two T8s. They get WD40 squirted into them, and wiped over with oil on the outside. The threads pick up grease from the rifle.

The .22LR mod is quite another matter. It comes apart, and I strip it every few 100 rounds (usually after a range visit) and de-gunk the insides.

I agree with cleaning some moderators but some just dont need it from what ive seen. Those that can be stripped might need some care depending on material I guess that can also be said for non strippable mods too. However if you cant remove the corrosive residue from the surface of the moderator will this not slowly eat away at the unit over time.
    I like some stripable mods but I also like the idea of maintanence free after all the time spent shooting is what its about for me and not having to worry if the mod will rust and ive had a few T8s go that way as im sure most have.
    So I would say be liberal with cleaning if you cant remove the corrosive reisidue or perhaps your wasting your time or maybe even causing more harm...
    Last edited by Sloth; 30-07-2010 at 22:02.

Sloth, have you been party to a view of contents from a mod that has been used with .17HMR? (L'IL GUN)
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I was always under the impression that WD40 was a BAD thing to use.

WD40 leaves a sticky film when it evaporates, not what you want inside a moderator.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Sloth, have you been party to a view of contents from a mod that has been used with .17HMR? (L'IL GUN)
    Yeah I've seen the state of .17 hmr mods look a right state for sure.

WD40 inside the T8 occasionally as recommemded by Jackson Rifles and a bit of grease on the threads. Never had any bother with mine.

wd40 wont hurt the mod a quick spray in the mod will neutralize the stuff left in there from shooting.

this then stops the corrosion

I have an ASE Northstar mod which gets a squirt of WD40 after use but I was wondering if it would be worth giving it a clean in the ultrasonic cleaner occasionally?