depressed and annorexic beagle

ileso

my beagle is now down with something. I was wondering if the symptoms could be Lyme disease or maybe something else.
twodays ago he didne eat well but was still lively with a proudly held tail, but he sometimes doesnt eat much when the weather is warm. but today he didnt eat at all, just drank loads of water. I took him out for a run to liven him up maybe, he chased a deer or a fox for a bit, came back refreshed. got home alright and half an hour later hes the same again.
Depressed, limp tail tucked away, sad, no energy and not eating at all. just closes his eyes and sleeps
I will take him to the vet first thing tomorrow, but i-m pretty worried.

Last edited:
blood glucose levels slightly high at 13.5 (6-12.5)
platelet levels are extremely low ... 60 (200-300)

all else normal

the vets first thoughts are that he has some sort of infection or parasite. Though she is not sure.

Last edited:
The out of synch results in the blood tests last night were:

WBC -18.5 (6-17)
Eosinophils - 1.3 (2-10)
Neutrophils - 13.9 (3-11.8)

MCHC - 37.6 (31-36)
Platelets - 93 (200-500)

Glucose - 62.1 (76-119)

IMG_20170318_170938.jpgView attachment 80788

Hes off the drip and back home on some meds, but not clear yet as hes a bit tired/limp, yet hes waaay more lively than before and holds his mast up high.
the vet still has no idea what hit him. anyone vets with any ideas? as prevention is the best cure to all ailments i would like to be able to prevent whatever hit him.

was unable do do an eco this morning. and she told me he played dead in the morning and tried to do a runner when she opened his cage to check his vitals... :) sounds like he working his way to getting well. have to keep an eye on temps though.

hes eating a bit better but not his usual appetite.

Last edited:
... now that you mention that... there was half a chocolate cake that went missing on thursday... equivalent to a dozen eggs and at least 250gr of chocolate. fark.

Update: Yesterday he was worse than ever. Vomiting thick clear and frothy vomit that had the consistency of egg whites. After a while the vomit had slightly green yellow streaks in it.
This went on for about 30 minutes while I called up the vet and he was back on a drip within half an hour. then a few doses of meds to stop vomiting and another dose of meds for the liver. (apparently greenish vomit means liver trouble)

Today he is coming back home again as he has destroyed everything in his cage at the vets, including the drip line. He will still be on meds and tomorrow hes doing an ecography.

Would chocolate have this effect? If so I must discover where he buried the cake. I must be buried somewhere. Or else hes eaten all of it.

Last edited:
If you haven't mentioned it to the vet already it sounds so similar to my GSP who had addisons, very similar symptons.......

Dog Addison Disease Symptoms - Addison Disease in Dogs | petMD

I did mention it to her, she hasnt finished with him yet though and is looking into all possibilities. Tomorrow I should have the definitive results of todays urine toxicology tests and the ecography, it does sound like it except for the last six symptoms though.
My beagle is back home again.
Looks very well again and his usual destructive self, in overdrive for the time lost at the vets.

Still on meds though, and will be for at least the rest of the week.

What I will do is see if he tries to dig up the rest of the cake in the morning if he hasnt eaten it all yet.

Well, The ecography came out clear.
He is still finishing his meds for the rest of the week as per doctors orders.

Hes now as good as sunshine. A bit thinner than he was due to all the vomiting and not eating. but back to his usual self.
So the results of a severe intoxication caused by half a tablet of dark chocolate (half the cake) on a 17.3kg dog was that it almost killed him due to liver failure. Luckily the liver is that organ that regenerates. so he will be as good as new.

cheers,
and thanks for looking in, and cheers to the bloke at the back of the class for chiming in about the chocolate. that was a very good observation.

Thats good news. so glad you got your boy back in one peice.
Let that be a lesson to all. Dogs and chocolate dont mix well.

Ileso,

Glad to hear the dog is on the mend.

Reminds me of a friend of mine....a whole Easter Egg and a bag of chocolate coins went missing from the kitchen....box and bag torn open....bits of tin foil scattered around.....two suspects...a black lab who would eat anything and a gooder than good cocker who is food fussy!!

Poor old lab gets rushed to the vet.....stomach pumped, charcoal poured down, drip, meds, over weekend stay, £700 later...........

Meanwhile back at home the cocker is struggling to have a poo and rubbing his butt across the lawn....friend investigates and finds gold tin foil wrapped poo parcels everywhere!

Ooops! Wrong dog! Both lived to tell the tale but the lab never trusted the cocker again! :D

wonderful creatures dogs, hard as nails, ready to run through rain, hail snow and thick gorse and matted blackberry hedges. proper commandos some of them, but give em something like chocolate...

glad to have this fcker back ....View attachment 80960

Last edited:
Back