Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluted Barrels

Fluted Barrels

Can someone explain in not too technical a way, the pro's and cons of having a fluted barrel on a stalking rifle?

1 Looks pretty.
    2 Slightly lighter.
    3 Bigger surface area aids cooling.
    4. Looks pretty

All of the above but most importantly, straight fluting is reputed to add rigidity without added weight but I believe that the quality of the initial machining has a lot to do with that claim. Spiral flutes are expensive and pretty but not much else. I would never flute an existing barrel, especially if it shot well. If someone thinks that losing that 1.5 ounces of weight is a benefit of fluting, I would just get a second hand weight set and work out a bit. Far cheaper than fluting!.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 22-07-2010 at 12:35.

SD Regular
    If someone thinks that losing that 1.5 ounces of weight is a benefit of fluting, I would just get a second hand weight set and work out a bit.
    Although you would not believe the extra time (and no doubt cost) that the British Army went to lighten some of its weapons! Drilled out bolt handles in the No.4 Lee Enfield etc., etc..

But as someone else said it is cheaper to lose 1.5 ounces off your belly than 1.50 ounces off your rifle!

So what are we saying, that it is only done to lighten the rifle or add some asthetic value.....? Or is there some ballistic or accuracy reason behind it...?

Account Suspended
    Basically the main advantage is loosing weight to carry around in the field.
    I know an easier way and thats dont stick a can on the end of it they call moderators that only reduce a slight amount of noise and a bit of muzzel flash but weigh a ton in weight and effect the perfect balance of a damm good rifle.
    Ear plugs are very light and weigh a few grams
    I will just get my kevlar hat on now and await the incoming
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 22-07-2010 at 17:23.

Interestingly enough I am told that the army have done a lot of work on the GPMG to get the weight down including fluted barrels, Titanium receiver and they have managed to get it down by 2 Kg which I am sure is a welcome reduction to the troops in Afghanistan who are carrying huge weights of kit in outrageous heat.

Dave

If you want your barrel to cool quicker then have it bead blasted. it cools far far quicker, in tests fluting was not much better than a normal barrel.
    As for a moderator. then the weight and ugly looks are far out weighed by being able to still hear your grand kids
    anyone that shoots with out a mod or ear protection deserves what they get.

ATB
    Cam

Fluting a barrel will reduce the weight of the profile by 1/2 lb.

It "may" increase barrel stiffness.

It will reduce your available funds by 120 at least.

Unless you are in need of a fluted barrel (for aesthetic value), I wouldnt bother.

If you want to save weight, by all means have a fluted barrel fitted, but also have it at 20" finished and dont bother adding a sound moderator.

As Stu says, ear plugs are pennies.

In a stalking rifle, as in walking stalking rifle, a lightweight barrel will be fine, unless of course you shoot fallow or hinds by the bucketload.