selling threaded rifle

sniperkona

Good evening, whats the position on selling and buying a rifle that has been aftermarket threaded and is not proofed for the work done?
thanks in advance

There are several different thoughts behind this and I am not aware of any legal case against anyone who has knowingly sold a rifle that they have had threaded but has not been proofed. I had one of mine threaded by a very reputable rifle smith just a few weeks back and asked the very question you ask. The answer given was that as long as I remain the owner of the rifle then it does not legally require proofing but if I was to sell the rifle then I should get it proofed before the sale. But I'm sure some will say you require it proofed even if the threaded rifle stays with you.

I'd be very interested to know just how many professionally threaded rifles that go for proof actually fail?

The rifle doesn't need proofing if you intend to keep it. Only if you sell it. Not sure of the logic behind that one.

Proofing need only be carried out if the integrity of the rifle has been compromised, in order to prove the rifle is still safe to use, shortening and threading the barrel does not effect the integrity of the rifle

Ian.

I was under the impression, perhaps falsely, that it is illegal to sell unproofed firearms (i.e. where alterations of any sort have been carried out). Proof was orginally required to ensure that all guns met acceptable safety standards, for obvious reasons. Hence the legal requirement.

I was told by a reputable rifle smith that he always has a rifle proofed after he has screw cut it because if he didn't his insurance to undertake works was invalid.

There is no legal requirement to proof an rifle after threading
None

Think about it.
How many are done and pass through the hands of reputable dealers
if there was any sniff of litigation coming their way they would not accept P/X, aftermarket threaded rifles.

In order to successfully prove that the integrity has been compromised you would have to demonstrate a failure AND more importantly test the theory in a court to set that in law....rather than what the proof houses would have you believe.

It is in the proof house's interest to have all threading jobs proofed

What I find very dodgy indeed is the practice of proof houses stamping the underside of muzzles on new builds to somehow attempt to enforce this should at some point in the future the barrel be threaded and the muzzle "proof" mark be removed.
This is not a legal requirement, is arguably done without consent, has suddenly become the norm but no-one complains

There is no legal requirement to proof an rifle after threading
None

Think about it.
How many are done and pass through the hands of reputable dealers
if there was any sniff of litigation coming their way they would not accept P/X, aftermarket threaded rifles.

In order to successfully prove that the integrity has been compromised you would have to demonstrate a failure AND more importantly test the theory in a court to set that in law....rather than what the proof houses would have you believe.

It is in the proof house's interest to have all threading jobs proofed

What I find very dodgy indeed is the practice of proof houses stamping the underside of muzzles on new builds to somehow attempt to enforce this should at some point in the future the barrel be threaded and the muzzle "proof" mark be removed.
This is not a legal requirement, is arguably done without consent, has suddenly become the norm but no-one complains

This, as well as the proofing of moderators!

Ian.

Back