Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What going on here

What going on here

Have been going through some brass i have acquired, after resigning, have found only on some of the cases these indents and was hoping some one could shed some light on what has happened to them, I think I found it on one I have not even re sized

Are these cases dead and should I get rid of them? or are they safe to use?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20072010062_G.sized.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	1949
    Last edited by pg2008; 22-07-2010 at 19:45. Reason: extra text

Well I would say that it has been caused by excessive lube, like a hydraulic dent. I wouldn't use them .Brough.

Hi
    You dont state if they are new or 2nd hand brass. There are 2 possible causes for the dents in the cases.
    1. breather hole may be blocked in the sizing dye
    2. the most likely cause is to much sizing lube ausing a little air pocket inside sizing dye which causes dent in the shoulder of the case
    You an load these as normal ,the case wll reform its self.
    regards Derek

+1 on the above.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Brough View Post
    Well I would say that it has been caused by excessive lube, like a hydraulic dent. I wouldn't use them .Brough.
    Agreed, too much lube!

I was told that a small dent such as above will pop back out on firing, but anything with a 'crease' should be discarded (as should anything with a dent serious enough to affect the case volume) although having said that I've never tried so disclaimers apply!

Alex

Again thank you for all the invaluable information. Yes it turned out to be a blocked hole, They are second hand brass cases.

Might reload and test fire one to see if dent comes out

Cheers

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pg2008 View Post
    Again thank you for all the invaluable information. Yes it turned out to be a blocked hole, They are second hand brass cases.

Might reload and test fire one to see if dent comes out

Cheers

Pete
    It will. Just load it.~Muir

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    when i 1st started re-loading many years ago the same happened to me, i thought it was the brass as was using norma cases, so ordered lapau for my 243 & 308 never happened again till i re lubed my case rolling pad so its to much lube... chuck them streight in the bin mate & as my X would say go canny with the lube
    Quote Originally Posted by pg2008 View Post
    Have been going through some brass i have acquired, after resigning, have found only on some of the cases these indents and was hoping some one could shed some light on what has happened to them, I think I found it on one I have not even re sized

Are these cases dead and should I get rid of them? or are they safe to use?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20072010062_G.sized.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	1949

HI PETE did you get the cases sorted after cheers derek

Yes - too much lube. If they are not too stretched they should be OK. Norma tend to be a bit lighter in the brass than some others - Lapua are amongst the heavier brass - I would say.
    Despite this, I've seen Norma brass in .270 last a very long time once they are fireformed and neck-sized.

Here's a tip I was given, and which works.
    For hunting/stalking, to be sure of easy chambering IF your fireformed cartridges can be a bit 'firm' in bolt closure, set your full sizer die several threads out so that the last 16th. of an inch of the neck above the shoulder of the case is not touched.
    In this way the case body is slightly slimmed down for easy chambering and the last bit of the untouched neck fits fairly snugly into the chamber and ensures a good centralisation of the bullet to the leed or leade.