Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ammo kept in a cabinet yes or no??

ammo kept in a cabinet yes or no??

hi,can anybody enlighten me please,my friend has just purchased a brattonsound gun cabinet with a top shelf in it,is he legally allowed to store his ammo in the top shelf of the cabinet or does he have to have another ammo safe?many thanks in advance!!

You need a separate locker for CF and RF ammo, all that can be kept on a shelf in the safe is shotgun shells, which
    don't actually need to be locked away, his cheapest option now he has a safe with no lock box is a cheap safe from B&Q or similar.

Neil.

Ammunition has to be kept in a seperate secure cabinet.

I have a small Argos digital safe that cost about 25 which is more than suitable, i also store my bolt and the keys to my gun cab in there for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by WiltsPat View Post
    Ammunition has to be kept in a seperate secure cabinet.

I have a small Argos digital safe that cost about 25 which is more than suitable, i also store my bolt and the keys to my gun cab in there for safety.
    So if I break into your cheap and most likely insecure Argos 25 quid safe, I'll have your bolt, ammo, and the keys to your gun cabinet? I reckon you might want to re-think your security there mate?
    MS

MS has hit the nail on the head there WiltsPat. Not wanting to cause a stir but a few months ago a mate of mine moved into a new house and there was a digi-safe bolted to one of the walls with no code. To cut a long story short I, with next to no picking experience and a basic set, had it open in under five minutes!

I keep my safe keys in a digi-safe, but have a key safe installed inside that! Just in case the worst happens it will at least slow them down a bit more.

As for the original post, a shelf isn't good enough for section 1 ammo. It has to have a seperate lock.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    as long as it has a seperate lock no problem
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkipling View Post
    hi,can anybody enlighten me please,my friend has just purchased a brattonsound gun cabinet with a top shelf in it,is he legally allowed to store his ammo in the top shelf of the cabinet or does he have to have another ammo safe?many thanks in advance!!

I don't know about the rest of the country in Scotland, It is only advantageous, that ammunition is kept in a lockable cabinet, as long as it is out of sight of others , I most certainly don't have it in a cabinet it gets checked every 5 years without any problems no one has ever said you can ,you must, It can be in the same cabinet as the weapons as can the bolts as the police will tell you, a lock only keeps a honest man out and will hold a dishonest one up for only a few moments .

Ive opened some of the best locks money can buy in minutes, once you learn how it is a simple process , My last FAC renewal the cop was telling me that he had just had fitted new doors at his home with the five point locking system, I showed him just how quick they are to open, his words were ive just spent 1400 on 2 doors that they say cant be opened, well to say the wind came out of his sail ,the look on his face priceless , the best bit was he was recommended them by the police home security cop .

If theres ever a fire in your home you have a bomb, if the ammunition is tightly packed into a cabinet if its loose it is only a few rounds going off what would you prefer.

There are plenty of places in a house to hide ammunition, under the floor, cut out the plaster board inside a cupboard above the door way ,the plinth board under a set of drawers, Top section of a egg box door ,hollow section below a window cill the list of places is endless .

I can see the tools coming out, lol.

Account Suspended
    My ammunition box is an old pistol safe and bolted to the wall out of sight and my keys to both are kept hidden in two seperate places so even if one set was found access to the other would be difficult.and like Robert hass said there are many hiding places in a house.

I understand that they do accept ammo to be in the same cabinet but it must be lockable with a different key to that what opens the main door
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 23-07-2010 at 07:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    So if I break into your cheap and most likely insecure Argos 25 quid safe, I'll have your bolt, ammo, and the keys to your gun cabinet? I reckon you might want to re-think your security there mate?
    MS
    Its perfectly secure. Thanks for the concern.

In order to be 'Home Office Approved' a firearms cabinet only has to resist 'determined efforts' to open it for 8 minutes. I don't think theres any real difference between most safes and cabinets.

I used to keep my ammunition and shells in an old metal locker with a padlock. Now i used another firearms cabinet in which i mounted additional shelves. I outgrew it so bought a larger new one. I'm a bit panaoid because i have a young child and a naggy wife, so all bolts and pistol cylinders go in one small safe, ammo and shells in a small cabinet and rifles and pistol chassis in a large cabinet.