Sako Finnfire P94S mag for under a fiver?

P94S.
As you know the 10 shot is metal so I guess they made it from steel for a reason, perhaps the plastic they used for the five shot was not strong enough.
As it is the 10 shot tends to need tweaking to get the rounds to feed as the metal ears spring back after pressing and cause poor feeding.

Could be why. It's why I'm not accepting any money until I can test the magazines myself.
Not sure what plastic the 5 shot mag is made from. I think the rounds stack alternately inside it rather than one exactly on top of the other - in the latter case I could increase the wall thickness but let's see how the prototypes turn out. I'm also not sure what length the spring is in the 10 shot as I can't get mine apart

Apparently you are to mow the lawn......

Looking at the Annie mag I think the wall thickness will be too thin, a base extension to the metal part of a four shot mag might work but will probably be too much work design wise. If the Sako mag works I can spare an Anschutz mag for you to look at.

All the best and what a great idea, Ben

An Anschutz 1517 HMR magazine is £55. Cost from me would be between £10 and £15 - is your wife really only worth £40 an hour? :D
Not sure why you think the wall thickness will be too thin - how thick is the magazine from side to side? The steel version has strengthening ribs in it which are fairly easy to produce in plastic.

Did have a crazy idea of fitting a flashing light in the base that is triggered when the magazine is empty but that would take some planning (I'd have to make up a dummy round in order to store the magazine without the light flashing)

Very approximately (glass of wine and a ruler....) the mag is 9mm and the round is 6mm so it depends on how strong the printed nylon is.

Very approximately (glass of wine and a ruler....) the mag is 9mm and the round is 6mm so it depends on how strong the printed nylon is.

I'm told 1mm should be strong enough. It's what the others are being made to.
The plastic factory Sako mag is thinner than that

Excellent, I thought that sounded too thin. See how these go and I can send and Annie mag to measure if it looks feasible.

Ben

Weihrauch HW60J .17HMR pretty much finished...

hw60j.png

This took about 8 hours of modelling with multiple crashes. Complete PITA as the base (orange bit) and case (clear bit) are referenced to different alignment planes (i.e. the base is slightly angled). Had to try to make a plastic version of a metal magazine which might not work but I've strengthened it in a couple of places so might work. Spring will need to be smaller diameter and can't take my one apart so don't actually know what shape the follower is

Looks great and actually very similar to the 1517 mag, when will you get the 1st Sako ones to test the strength?

Looks great and actually very similar to the 1517 mag, when will you get the 1st Sako ones to test the strength?

Their economy service takes up to 14 days but hopefully less. Spring wire was supposed to have been delivered today but hasn't turned up :(

Going to take a while to wind all the springs - got 36 orders so far! :D

I've been asked to make a larger HMR magazine - I've extended the 4 shot one and it ain't prettyweihrauch_10_shot.png - also don't know if it will work or not. Cost is going to be just under £20 as it's quite a lot bigger

Could be why. It's why I'm not accepting any money until I can test the magazines myself.
Not sure what plastic the 5 shot mag is made from. I think the rounds stack alternately inside it rather than one exactly on top of the other - in the latter case I could increase the wall thickness but let's see how the prototypes turn out. I'm also not sure what length the spring is in the 10 shot as I can't get mine apart

Both mags have the rounds in a single stack. Thought it was a pin at the base for the ten shot?

Both mags have the rounds in a single stack. Thought it was a pin at the base for the ten shot?

It is a pin but it's pretty small and I don't have a tool at hand to punch it out with. Not convinced the rounds are exactly in a single stack - I think they stagger slightly but we'll see.

Had a go at making some springs today now that my order finally arrived. I'm getting better at it:

20170404_171348.jpg

Well I'v just found this thread and reading every page I was looking forward to getting a report on the end results.
Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer.

Put me down for 2 x 10 Mags when they're ready. :thumb:

Well I'v just found this thread and reading every page I was looking forward to getting a report on the end results.
Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer.

Put me down for 2 x 10 Mags when they're ready. :thumb:

Infuriating isn't it? Still waiting...

Took my HMR mag apart and the spring is a pretty complicated design that is not going to be easy to replicate. Might have to rethink that one. Funnily enough, I'd guessed at the shape of the follower and got it almost exactly right!

Well. Having come to the conclusion that my order had been lost, woke early this morning to find it's in post processing (so polishing, dyeing etc.). I'm on holiday until Saturday so hopefully they'll be waiting for me when I get home

Still no sign of the damn things. I've contacted the company to see what the hold up is. Not terribly impressed so far :(

Well, they've arrived! First impressions are pretty good - I asked for half polished and half unpolished but the final order will all be polished. The texture (as they say on their website) is like that of a softmint - not quite as shiny as the original but pretty smooth.

20170421_090514.jpg

The ones I ordered in white went into a dye bath which was pretty straightforward. They can be almost any colour but I thought blaze orange would be best if one were dropped. I now have orange fingers:

20170421_101300.jpg

Side by side comparison with the original:
20170421_091443.jpg

So, the big question is, how do they perform?

Well, I assembled a 5 shot magazine and it fits into the action well - clicks nicely into place. They feel pretty sturdy although since submitting the trial order, I've redesigned things to make the casings thicker (and added a viewing window). The lips at the top are a bit flimsy and I had to fettle the opening slightly to make it feed (as before, I've redesigned this bit anyway but am going to see about making it a bit stiffer) but feed it did, which was great. Not as slick as the original, if I'm honest, but hopefully the newer design will be better. Part of the problem was that the holes for the securing pin are slightly too big (or the pin is too small!) so it's a bit loose - nothing that a touch of glue or tape wouldn't remedy but I'll adjust the design for the final order if people still want to go ahead.

Well done for your efforts, I hope , and I am sure they will , that everyone who asked for them come good , thanks again , and keep us posted, Arron .ps good call about orange blaze or colour

So impressed I have doubled my order! :)

Emailed details should be with you now.

Did you make the springs from piano wire or stainless?

Alan

Piano wire. Haven't tried making one for the 10 shot yet - will give that a go this afternoon... Will also find out how many shots it will take! Can easily adjust the length if needs be

Very nice work, Spandit!

The guys in my office have got 3D printers and are making models of offshore tools and also drone chassis' that are pretty impressive.

I was contemplating modelling and getting a Sako 75 magazine made but not sure if it will be sturdy enough.

Back