Thread: A Wild Boar Story

A Wild Boar Story

It was the summer of 2002 Saturday the 17 of august to be exact . I had been invited over to Sweden to shoot Roebuck. The season opens on the 16 August,wild boar are also in season . After a successfull hunt for a Roebuck in the morning . i was taken to a large stubble field for an evening in a high seat my host sat in another high seat 300meters away .I patiently sat in the seat untill the light started to fade and decided to call it a night and walk back to my host. As i approached him he motioned me to be quiet. He had obviously heard somthing and after pausing i could hear wild boar in the dark conifer wood behind us . Suddenly a procession of wild boar exploded from the wood into the field led by a large sow . My host who was still in the seat shot two large piglets(60kg) and i managed to shoot another . Then a strange thing happend . The piglets ran back into the wood but the sow was having none of it and standing only 60 meters away from the seat started to rake up the ground with her feet and large tusks . The stand off continued ,we clapped our hands ,shouted and whistled but it made no difference,the sow remained . I tried walking towards the sow but this was met with a charge from the sow. So there we were almost dark with a 180kg angry wild boar holding us in position. We could have shot her but this thought never entered our heads. As a last resort my host telephoned his father who drove across the field sounding his horn and flashing his lights this had the desired effect and the sow returned to the wood.
    Why did the sow react like this ,when the second piglet was shot it squealed loudly before it had died,had this alerted the sow and made her react like she had? I was just relieved to get back to the house in one piece after such an eventful evening

Good Hunting Chill123

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post
    It was the summer of 2002 Saturday the 17 of august to be exact . I had been invited over to Sweden to shoot Roebuck. The season opens on the 16 August,wild boar are also in season . After a successfull hunt for a Roebuck in the morning . i was taken to a large stubble field for an evening in a high seat my host sat in another high seat 300meters away .I patiently sat in the seat untill the light started to fade and decided to call it a night and walk back to my host. As i approached him he motioned me to be quiet. He had obviously heard somthing and after pausing i could hear wild boar in the dark conifer wood behind us . Suddenly a procession of wild boar exploded from the wood into the field led by a large sow . My host who was still in the seat shot two large piglets(60kg) and i managed to shoot another . Then a strange thing happend . The piglets ran back into the wood but the sow was having none of it and standing only 60 meters away from the seat started to rake up the ground with her feet and large tusks . The stand off continued ,we clapped our hands ,shouted and whistled but it made no difference,the sow remained . I tried walking towards the sow but this was met with a charge from the sow. So there we were almost dark with a 180kg angry wild boar holding us in position. We could have shot her but this thought never entered our heads. As a last resort my host telephoned his father who drove across the field sounding his horn and flashing his lights this had the desired effect and the sow returned to the wood.
    Why did the sow react like this ,when the second piglet was shot it squealed loudly before it had died,had this alerted the sow and made her react like she had? I was just relieved to get back to the house in one piece after such an eventful evening

Good Hunting Chill123

Hi Chill123

We had the same on our ground in the uk.

We had shot two young boar in some crops that are grown in rows.
    The two boar were probably 12 rows apart but smack in the middle was a sow with small pigletts. Being brave we decided to fetch the quad and give her time to move off, when we got back she was still feeding so I thought i would encourage her to leave by driving the quad up the row towards, at 10 yards she was still standing her ground so I selected reverse and let her move of in her own time

Wayne

A pig is a mammal, and quite an inteligent one at that. It's possible that she was angry at having lost a piglet and was ready to fight to defend the rest of the litter, or that she wasn't sure what had happened but suspected there may be a threat to her litter that needed seeing off. Either way, just be thankful you weren't on the recieving end of those tusks.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    A pig is a mammal, and quite an inteligent one at that. It's possible that she was angry at having lost a piglet and was ready to fight to defend the rest of the litter, or that she wasn't sure what had happened but suspected there may be a threat to her litter that needed seeing off. Either way, just be thankful you weren't on the recieving end of those tusks.
    Hi Harry mac i think you are right . Other hunters i have spoken to have said we should have shot the sow , as she had compromised us and won . After the dust had settled we had 3 boar down and knew she had another 11 piglets to look after, it just didn,t seem right to shoot her . although that would have been the easy option
    good hunting Chill123