Opinions on Ammo for Sauer 202 Elegance (Fallow + Red deer)

d0nni

Hi there,

First of all hi! Literally just joined the forum yesterday. Some interesting reads and information so first off thanks for that.

I'm looking for some information if anyone can help.

I've just purchased a Sauer 202 Elegance in .308. Still to get it sent across to me from England and added to the FAC but before it comes I was looking some information on which would be the best round for it.

Currently I've a Sako M591 .308 which I've been shooting the Hornady 165g SP from which I've found to be grouping (3 shot) at .75 - 0.5 MOA at 100Yrds. its an 11 twist.

I shoot with the 165g because I like the extra hitting power it has.

Decided to treat myself to the Sauer 202. Cause well - Why not?!

I'm just wondering who else has or has had this rifle and what did they find was the best ammo producing their bests groups with. Also would they happen to know the twist rate for the Sauer 202 in .308?

Thanks and look forward to your suggestions.

Donni

Dont know twist rate off hand. I know Sauer use RWS ammo for testing and it does tend to go well in them. But I'd work around your existing load to startt with - if it aint broke dont fix kinda thing :D

In RWS 308 we have stunning results with their 150 grain Classic ID ammo - very sweet shooting, hits like a freight train, minor damage and tends to shoot well in a lot of rifles.

Hi Moray,

Thanks for the reply. I've heard a lot about this RWS round but funny enough I've never saw any of the dealers stocking it (Nothern Ireland). Must admit I've never asked but its never been produced to me as an option before either.

My 200 is 1:12 right hand twist, but I have seen other Sauer .308s which were 1:10 ( like the SHR 970 I have ). Actually, their twist is metric, so 1:10 is actually 1:9.85.
No matter. It will shoot 150 and 165 grain bullets very well.

Hi Southern.

Cheers for the information. Will give the hornady 165g round a go and see how we get on. really cannot wait to get out with it. will be a day off work to sight it in and enjoy it. Shame the season over Friday for the doe. chances of falling in with a buck before season over is slim to none. but never say never lol

Hornady Whitetail 150 or 165, the basic, least expensive ammo is good stuff.

Try a box of the cheap vanilla Federal 165 grain, before jumping to the Premium with the 165-gr Sierra GK. I handload, but the Federal shot a cloverleaf out of my Sauer 200 and my SHR 970. If you cannot find that, try the Federal Fusion.

My sauer 200 isnt fussy i have yet to find a round it dosnt like. I home load but i used alot of factory rounds before i started loading for it.

Regards Kev

Dont know twist rate off hand. I know Sauer use RWS ammo for testing and it does tend to go well in them. But I'd work around your existing load to startt with - if it aint broke dont fix kinda thing
+1 for the above stick to what you have and see how it goes, if you reload you can then try tweeking your loads
Cheers
Ray

I'm actually swaying towards the RWS HIT ammo after doing some research on it. Will still see how well it suits with the Hornady round as I've some there already and from what i can see the RWS is NOT cheap lol. But at the same time you get what you pay for. Getting a general consensus however from different threats that no matter on the round (within reason) the Sauer is still gonna own it.

I've never even thought about reloading. Not sure what the costs would be for the UK - and how consistent i could get it. How hard is it?

hah very good Bandit. Might look into it at a later date. the money i'm spending on the firearms at the moment and everything which comes with it should be enough without adding too it lol go to collect the sauer this evening. cannot wait :)

I've never even thought about reloading. Not sure what the costs would be for the UK - and how consistent i could get it. How hard is it?

Reloading is a relatively simple process with a limited number of fairly basic steps. If you can successfully post on this forum, or order a rifle from England, then you can clearly follow a simple sequence of steps and will have no problems.

The advantage with reloading in NI is that ammo availability can be limited and sporadic and so being able to make your own means you can get the bullet you like and can usually lay in enough supplies to ensure you have stalking ammo to keep you going for a few years. In my view you'll not save money doing it but it is nice not to be depending on the local dealer getting a supply of ammo plus I like to shoot Nosler Partitions and I've no idea how or where I'd get ammo with them. Of course maybe your local dealer can come up with a reliable supply of factory ammo that suits your requirements and in that case the reloading is probably not worth the bother unless you are actually interested in the process as a hobby in its own right, and many people get a lot of enjoyment from it.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of scope are you putting on it?
Maybe you can at least post a photo of the wood on the butt stock so we can drool.

i have a 308 202 wolverine, it shoots just about everything well, i have gone up to 190gn smk on a range and i wasnt unhappy at 1000yds at bisley , for hunting it is very good with hornady 168 speer, worked up to 46gn V140, very good to 300, i tried them on a range, and loose all accuracy after 400, but i doubt that will ever be an issue. mine likes quite heavy bullets best, typically 165 / 180 ish, Good luck.

Back