Question for Scottish guides in relation to US visitor

devon deer stalker

I have been asked the question, and i just don't know the answer!
An American, (either bringing his own gun or using the estates) visiting Scotland, wants to hunt a Stag, but he wants to be self guided, i.e. dropped off so he can hunt on his own, i can think of some issues, but i thought i would pose the question to those who actually know.
Is that actually possible?
If so are there any guides on here who can offer this?
Or if not what is the best solution that could be offered?
What would also be useful is a guide to prices, they can be sent via pm if necessary.

Many thanks

Richard

I have been asked the question, and i just don't know the answer!
An American, (either bringing his own gun or using the estates) visiting Scotland, wants to hunt a Stag, but he wants to be self guided, i.e. dropped off so he can hunt on his own, i can think of some issues, but i thought i would pose the question to those who actually know.
Is that actually possible?
If so are there any guides on here who can offer this?
Or if not what is the best solution that could be offered?
What would also be useful is a guide to prices, they can be sent via pm if necessary.

Many thanks

Richard

:popcorn::D

He may struggle to find somewhere that he will be allowed to stalk on his own, I only know of one estate where it is possible, would not really recommend it as the client is responsible for extraction and lardering the beast to an acceptable standard for game dealer.

Not really suitable for overseas clients while an ATV could be made available,one would need experience ,insurance,and an operators ticket.

Apart from anything else the Scottish Highlands is not the best place for a lone stalker unfamiliar with the terrain.

Richard I would say that if your American friend did find an estate that would allow him to stalk unaccompanied using an estate rifle under such circumstances would literarily be stretching it a bit too far.

This is an area I have had many years experience in and I would be very very suprised to see any estate or outfitter in Scotland allowing any overseas client out on the hill to try and shoot his own beast. I have never heard of this being allowed.
If they have a visitors permit for their own rifle there is no restriction on there being with someone, other than the person that sponsored them in the first place. If they used an estate rifle they would need a visitors permit to be on their own with the rifle.

They would not know the ground, the boundaries, which in many cases in Scotland is a line on a map. They would not know which stag to shoot, and could end up shooting a young stag with potential. The weather and terrain are unknown to them and can be dangerous. If they shot one they would not have a clue about where they were to get it extracted.

In short it could turn into a nightmare, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. And as I said I would be gobsmacked if any estate allowed it.

There are no doubt some English people that after getting to know the keeper or guide on an estate over many years, would be allowed to stalk on their own or take their own clients out, this is rare but it takes a few years before being considered worthy of such trust.

I recently had a guest who wanted to do this (American as well).

We had a lengthy convesration about the best way forward. He was going to be using an estate rifle (mine), and wanted to effectively hunt for himself. Clearly, it wasn't going to work the way he really wanted (total autonomy), he knew this, and was keen to find a workable alternative.

We came up with a solution that worked very well: I accompanied him, but always kept 15-20 metres behind, and as unobtrusive as possible, allowing him to make all the decisions about where to go, where to look, how to approach etc. We had detailed briefings before each outing, with careful study of the map and discussion of boundaries and likely deer locations. And he quickly took to consulting me at intervals about options and strategy. When we saw shootable beasts, he took all the decisions about the approach, with the only proviso that he wait until I crawled up to the shooting point to confirm target and backstop before he took the shot.

So it was the best of both worlds: he felt like he was hunting 'poperly', and not just being lead onto beasts, and I felt like I had effective oversight of the situation.

I would add that he was a soldier, and I completely trusted him to work within an agreed plan. There are plenty of people I would not trust to do this!

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to answer this.
I will pass on the info, i think some Americans can't get their head around the fact we have no public land to hunt over, and some of the strictest gun controls in the world.
Cheers
Richard

There are no doubt some English people that after getting to know the keeper or guide on an estate over many years, would be allowed to stalk on their own or take their own clients out, this is rare but it takes a few years before being considered worthy of such trust.

So only the English, what about the rest of the U.K. then Malc ! :evil:

I'm going to report you to the moderators on the grounds of racial discrimination against the Irish, the Welsh, us borderers and even the Scots in their own land. :rofl:

This is an area I have had many years experience in and I would be very very suprised to see any estate or outfitter in Scotland allowing any overseas client out on the hill to try and shoot his own beast. I have never heard of this being allowed.
If they have a visitors permit for their own rifle there is no restriction on there being with someone, other than the person that sponsored them in the first place. If they used an estate rifle they would need a visitors permit to be on their own with the rifle.

They would not know the ground, the boundaries, which in many cases in Scotland is a line on a map. They would not know which stag to shoot, and could end up shooting a young stag with potential. The weather and terrain are unknown to them and can be dangerous. If they shot one they would not have a clue about where they were to get it extracted.

In short it could turn into a nightmare, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. And as I said I would be gobsmacked if any estate allowed it.

Malc, as I said I do know of one estate that does exactly this, they have no stalker/keeper the clients are given a map showing the boundaries and left to their own devices, the client's are expected to extract and larder the beasts themselves , it is aimed at groups who can work together not individuals, and there is no estate rifle facility.
Also need to be experienced stalkers with appropriate qualifications.m

There is an argo available to those who have the appropriate ticket and insurance which is a necessity due to the terrain

So would not be suitable for the gentleman in question, they seem to have the same groups of Englishmen each year,and until now seems to have worked OK, however having said that I feel there is a huge likelihood of something going wrong and certainly would not recommend it.

I used to work where clients would opt to come and do the self hunt thing. I think as well as the package being "cheaper", I think they maybes wanted to prove to themselves in their hunting abilities. Quite often after several failed stalks and often even failing to see deer they would ask for a guide, then their luck would usually change.

Where I work now this would definitely be a big no no. I asked a client what he thought of the prices we charged a couple of years ago and his reply was "bargain". I was a bit surprised but he put it into perspective when he said he was going to watch the rugby and for a hard seat for a couple of hours it was £120. With you, I get one to one guide, a person to extract and larder, a trained dog, a driver and pickup, quad and operator and lots of hours put in to one day

I would recommend that he considers things carefully

Last edited:
Back