Swap: Rare opportunity to hunt in the Himalayas

piranpir

There was a time when only 300 recorded markhor were left in Pakistan this is when the Pakistani govt. Introduced community based hunting programme. Today the number has risen to 3000 as recorded by wwf. On the other hand if you look at India where there is a total ban on hunting yet the numbers of tigers are falling manly because of poaching

Last edited:
Hi
Interested in hog deer. I would like to swop, i have roe and fallow stalking and plenty of driven game shooting mainly duck,pheasant and partridge.
I am in Preston in the North of England and you are welcome to come anytime this winter to see what you think.
I have had one trip to S Africa after plains game and Altai in Russia after ibex, and also shot boar in Hungary and Poland.
Kind regards
Martin Tomlinson 07801 834 092

so why hunt them then if they are rare??????????

It might be an idea to look at the IUCN red list before making such comments. Are wild boar really that rare? Though the opportunity to hunt some of the species is rare. The member is giving fellow forum members a chance to experience something unique. The board is lucky to have him offering the hunts he is.

Best
MJ

Mick,

One of the approved methods of conservation is to engage the local communities. Whereas they would normally hunt "rare" animals for food, if they can see that they have greater value to paying hunters then they "manage" this in order to generate revenue for the community which is greater than depleting the food source.

Win win situation for the animal and the community. Just slapping a hunting ban on a Markhor will not stop locals shooting for the pot.

Stan

English Partridge are rare but if you take them off the quarry list then who will bother to look after them? Hunting and conservation have always had a complex relationship. JC

Hi Martin, thanks for your interest. regarding your offer, I have your number, will call you to discuss further.
Best regards
Danish

Last edited:
Hi mj75: thats very kind of you. You know actually Smullery took the words out of my mouth, he is absolutely right , we have introduced a community based trophy hunting programme where 80% of the revenue generated from the hunt goes to the local villagers who in return do not need to kill these animals for food and they also protect the animals from poachers who are obviously poaching because they cannot afford to pay the trophy fees. There was a time when only 300 recorded markhor were left in Pakistan this is when the Pakistani govt. Introduced community based hunting programme. Today the number has risen to 3000 as recorded by wwf. On the other hand if you look at India where there is a total ban on hunting yet the numbers of tigers are falling manly because of poaching.
Same goes for the snow leopard which is strictly protected in Pakistan but because of that there was a time when the numbers suddenly increased and more and more incidents were reported of the leopards attacking the livestock of the villagers, now vengeance is a natural trait of all human beings since then the villagers started hunting the snow leopards indiscriminately making the population dangerously low. However if the Pakistan govt. Had introduced a similar community based hunting programme for the leopard than the situation would have been much better by now.the same people who are poaching these animals would be protecting them. Its very sad but do you know that he original habitat of the marcopolo sheep currently found in the pamirs was in Pakistan. Unfortunately in the 80s a military dictator was ruling Pakistan and he did not have the sense to introduce a trophy hunting law for these beautiful creatures, as a result the animals moved further north into Tajikistan etc due to large scale poaching.

Last edited:
You have a fantastic collection of unusual game animals in you photo album, it would be very rare for a hunter from the UK to hunt the himalayas though I am sure many of us feel we would like to, our opportunities probably look a little limited in comparison.

I was intersted in one of your photos where you are pictured in from of some fantastic deer heads, what country do they come from? If I had to pick a favorite it would be the Sindh Ibex.

johngryphon. sorry for the late reply i was in new zea land hunting tahr. red stag, elk, fallow and bison. pics are on my profile gallery. here is the link to some video clips compiled from my hunting video. hope you like it. i have some friends in australia by the way who might be coming over to me for hunting, Roy Hrelja and rob lopardi, dont know if u know them by any chance.

regards
danish

Doghound. thanks mate. yes sind ibex are beautiful animals. very elusive and challenging to hunt and highly sought after by international trophy hunters

Nice to hear about Pakistan.
Sadly I am only off to New Delhi and Agrar for a 13 day vacation but there will be no hunting, only lots of real curry I hope.
Regards
Martin

Back