Thread: Guests and rifles

Guests and rifles

Hi all,

I have a caravan site, with a course fishing lake and a couple of cottages in North Yorkshire and would like to offer this in winter to the shooting fraternity.

Anyone have any knowlege of what I need to do with respect to firearms and storage?

Regards

Wills

A small gun cabinet in the property should be fine with the certificate holder holding both the keys to the cabinet.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Thanks for that..I will look into it

In my area (fife) the firearms department like to be informed and they come out and do a quick check of the cabinet and security. They then put the accommodation on a list which they can cross reference for any police visitors permit applications from overseas visitors.

We use several B&B's and hotels for our clients which are passed and on the list.

Cheers,
    Mark.

SD Regular
    I would check with your local FEO but suggest an "old style" cabinet (you may have to get one made up) with hasps that the door closes over and to which EXTERNAL padlocks can be fitted.

That way guests must bring their own padlocks (you could specify a suitable size) and there can be no question of you having access through a spare set of keys.

But of course you would still have the ability by destroying the padlock and not the cabinet of entry by drilling in case guest lost the keys.

Also within the cabinet maybe a separate box, again with hasp and padlock, for the bolt and ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I would check with your local FEO but suggest an "old style" cabinet (you may have to get one made up) with hasps that the door closes over and to which EXTERNAL padlocks can be fitted.

That way guests must bring their own padlocks (you could specify a suitable size) and there can be no question of you having access through a spare set of keys.

But of course you would still have the ability by destroying the padlock and not the cabinet of entry by drilling in case guest lost the keys.

Also within the cabinet maybe a separate box, again with hasp and padlock, for the bolt and ammunition.
    In my area the police allow multiple guns in the one cabinet, provided each is fitted with a trigger lock, and one member of the party may hold the cabinet keys.

Alternatively I am a registered courier for one R.F.D this enables me to have any firearm in transit provided they have been registered with the R.F.D I am also allowed to store such firearms at my home address or any other address
    provided there is an approved cabinet at that address, storage is for overnight this facility is to allow for when it may not be possible to complete delivery of a firearm in one day for whatever reason.

However in practise I may hold the firearms of a visiting party issuing them their guns in the morning and taking them back into my custody at night again provided the guests have registered their firearms with the R.F.D.

The later arrangement has been approved by the police.

I realise that may not be an option for everyone, and my advice would be to talk with your local F.L.O. and see what he recommends.

Unhappy

The issue with having a gun safe in the apartments is that the site primarily caters for those who like course fishing, which are our main clients in the summer. Towards autumn and winter we get couples, who may fish but generally use the place as a base to access Dalby forest and York.

Have a look on www.visitbrooklands.co.uk and you will get the idea.

The site of a gun cabinet may lead to a conversation with those who do not approve and I really don’t want to annoy any of the paying guests. The looks I got when I went out with the shotgun and nailed a rat were interesting to say the least and qualify what I thought to be the case, that many of our guests don’t want to know how the countryside is managed.

I may look at the local RFD, and see if he is willing.

If a person was to go stalking on a sat morning, for example, would it be acceptable for them to pick the rifle up on the Friday night and stay with it?

Regards
    Wills

P.S not sure why a unhappy face has appeared

SD Regular
    Just bull**** the other guests.

Explain that the long gun cabinets were put in for people who wanted secure storage for their expensive tripod mounted cameras and extra long lenses that used to come and do wildlife photography!

And that one of these photographers said that gun cabinets were what most of them used at home as they were widely available, relatively cheap and oddly enough pretty much just what was required in terms of length.

That they could hang up a camera bag on top of their tripod in the cabinet and not keep having to take everything out of it each time.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Just bull**** the other guests.

Explain that the long gun cabinets were put in for people who wanted secure storage for their expensive tripod mounted cameras and extra long lenses that used to come and do wildlife photography!

And that one of these photographers said that gun cabinets were what most of them used at home as they were widely available, relatively cheap and oddly enough pretty much just what was required in terms of length.

That they could hang up a camera bag on top of their tripod in the cabinet and not keep having to take everything out of it each time.
    thats a fantastic bulls**t story!

are you a politician?
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Wills,

Surely the onus is on the FAC holder? Same issue as if he were to stay in a hotel, B&B or rent a holiday cottage anywhere.

Secure the bolt and ammo seperately (car glovebox, hidden in vehicle, carry on person), cable lock rifle to something immovable (you could install a locking point), and that is the reasonable precautions taken.

Stan