Best "Budget" scope for dawn/dusk shooting

d0nni

Hi,

I'm looking for a scope at the minute. would like something which is good at absorbing light. not really sure what to go for. id be willing to fork out around 700 max for one if it was the right job. what does everyone else use around this money? can anyone recommend something?

Half flirting with the idea of a Zeiss Conquest 5-25x50 HD5 Rapid-Z 800 - fella i know is selling one for 600. but no idea what they are like n poor light?

Ideally id like a 30mm tube (mounts coming with new rifle are 30mm)

Thanks

I would be looking for something with good light transmission rather than light absorbing donni. :D

There's some very good deals to be had on S&B scopes at the moment. Their 8x56 sort of set the standard for low light shooting for a good many years.

or if you want a variable, look at the meopta R1 3-10x50. somewhere on here theres a very good post reviewing a lot of the scopes, have a search about.

Hi,

I'm looking for a scope at the minute. would like something which is good at absorbing light. not really sure what to go for. id be willing to fork out around 700 max for one if it was the right job. what does everyone else use around this money? can anyone recommend something?

Half flirting with the idea of a Zeiss Conquest 5-25x50 HD5 Rapid-Z 800 - fella i know is selling one for 600. but no idea what they are like n poor light?

Ideally id like a 30mm tube (mounts coming with new rifle are 30mm)

Thanks

Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50. Secondhand about £400-£450 or add about £100 for one with a red dot.

cjs

I would be looking for something with good light transmission rather than light absorbing donni. :D

There's some very good deals to be had on S&B scopes at the moment. Their 8x56 sort of set the standard for low light shooting for a good many years.

+1 on the 8x56 SB, selling on here a while ago new, at less than £400.00. Double the price and much smaller is Zeiss Duralyt,which can be had here sh from £400.00 +and new £680.00. Great scopes Both excellent at dawn and dusk.

sorry Cjs posted simultaneously :thumb:

Last edited:
Depends on usage. For natural light shooting an illuminated reticle is nice to have, foxing with a lamp perhaps not so necessary.
As others have mentioned Meopta, S&B 8x56 or Zeiss Duralyt are good options.
Leupold VXR I have also heard good things about although not in the same league as the others.

While I consider most of the Zeiss scopes to be of excellent or even superb quality I wouldn't rate the Duralyt in the same league as the 7x50 Meopta or the 8x56 S&B. The Duralyt range was the bargain end of the Zeiss range and not of quite the same standard as you usually associate with the company. They are more like some of the lesser Leupolds.

While I consider most of the Zeiss scopes to be of excellent or even superb quality I wouldn't rate the Duralyt in the same league as the 7x50 Meopta or the 8x56 S&B. The Duralyt range was the bargain end of the Zeiss range and not of quite the same standard as you usually associate with the company. They are more like some of the lesser Leupolds.

I thought we were talking about budget scopes. I shot a lot of roe at dusk and dawn with the duralyt scope and the s&b real time. I made sure i kept the lenses of the scope and my specs clean.lol

8x56 zeiss or S/B should be about for under £350, what bingo's are you using 8x or 10x if 10x go for a 10x56 scope
match bins with scope it's quicker to go from one to the other in those conditions if they are matched in magnifications

Delta Titanium 2.5-15 x 56

Beats all comers at the price and some way above! Astonishingly good optics, superb transmittance.

Compared very favourably with a rather pricey Zeiss when I and another fellow stalker put them to the test.

For the money. it's a complete no-brainer as far as stalking scopes go.

Delta Titanium 2.5-15 x 56

Beats all comers at the price and some way above! Astonishingly good optics, superb transmittance.

Compared very favourably with a rather pricey Zeiss when I and another fellow stalker put them to the test.

For the money. it's a complete no-brainer as far as stalking scopes go.

I just looked these up, great reviews and not bad price. Thanks for the heads up on them.

Go with the fixed 8x56. Brand new S&B Hungarian for under £500. It will also have a good resale value. If you really need a variable, Meopta is the way to go.

I suggest Meopta Artemis 7x50 Fixed Power, glass as good as the top Brands, built like a tank. Option of IR or non-IR. Typically around £500.

You won't get much better than the S&B 8x56 for the money (new or second hand) - plus as mentioned go for the 4a ret and you'll also get a free rangefinder - an adult Roe will fit chest to rear in between the two thick horizontal ret bars @ 100 yards :thumb:

Back