Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Were you there?

Were you there?

So who went to the CLA? What were your impressions?

I had a very pleasant day drooling over expensive rifles and waggling pricey rods. Ate far too much but enjoyed a member's complimentary pint of bitter at the Wild Trout Trust and a delicious piece of chocolate cake at the Salmon & Trout Association restaurant. Bought a Barbour.

It was good to see such a large crowd in attendance. Such numbers must surely be the best evidence possible that country sports are far from the minority interest some would have us believe.

Yet, I came away feeling there was something missing, although for the life of me can't think what that might have been.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Quote Originally Posted by Iwrch View Post

I had a very pleasant day drooling over expensive rifles and waggling pricey rods. Ate far too much but enjoyed a member's complimentary pint of bitter at the Wild Trout Trust and a delicious piece of chocolate cake at the Salmon & Trout Association restaurant. Bought a Barbour.

It was good to see such a large crowd in attendance. Such numbers must surely be the best evidence possible that country sports are far from the minority interest some would have us believe.

Yet, I came away feeling there was something missing, although for the life of me can't think what that might have been.
    I think we both know what you mean.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Iwrch

I was there Friday after an absence of a couple of years.

I personally thought it was greatly improved over the last one at Blenheim. The site was far more compact meaning you could get to all the stands and arenas with ease, unlike at Blenheim where I felt I needed my passport to get from one side of the ground to the other. I also thought there were fewer stands selling furry gonks and double glazing.

We got there early and cooked bacon & sausage on the camping stove in the car park washed down with some Buck's Fizz, so we were set up for the day by 07:00

The highlight was having a good chin-wag with Lee from Border Barrels and getting to look at some nice shooting and fishing kit that I didn't need or, surprisingly, want. We even had time to look at some of the events in the arena which makes a change. I didn't see anyone from the site but that's likely my fault for being so inattentive - apologies if anyone saw me and thought "miserable bugger"

I didn't have anything specific on my shopping list but came away with an AIM drag bag, a signed copy of Richard Prior's new book and flies that are guaranteed trout catchers....surely....

As well as that we got an absolute bargain in the beachcasting department - 2 rods, reels (including line) and a stand for 50. Just the job for the Dumfries & Galloway coast later this year. It's not exactly Hardy or Sage kit but it'll do us.

We were away by 15:45, home by 17:30 and in the pub for 20:00 . Once there bumped into four other people from the village who'd also been at the Game Fair, all of whom had enjoyed it.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

we were there friday there at 7 am left at 7 pm had a great day out and got everything on the shopping list we went for
    willie might have passed you in the car park saw somebody with a stove going did you go in blue entrance
    thought it was very well laid out and organised and kept very clean we were shattered when we got home
    regards pete .

Established Poster
    North Lanarkshire, the land that Summer forgot.
    We have just got back, spent most of Friday wandering about and chatting to people we met, left around 3ish as the dogs were getting tired, then went back Saturday morning arriving again before 7am, did some shopping the missus alot of shopping, and lrft around 12 ish. I'd read reports that the traffic would be bad but we didn't get stuck in any jams, thought the layout was good and plenty of stands. Only gripe was paying 1.50 for a cup of hot water other than that was a great 2 days out.

I was their Saturday & Sunday. My 10 year old loved the gundog displays and the Kids area. I managed to spend a fortune buying things you can never normally find anywhere.
    Meet some really nice people. But next year I'll cook my own breakfast on the campsite five pound for a bacon bun is a bit steep! Even though their seemed almost too many food outlets.
    Can nt wait till next year, anyone know where it is???
    Simon

We just got back after a good day. i have never made it to a CLA game fair before and I enjoyed it.
    Highlights for me were, seing the new Boxall Edminson sidelock that was launched this weekend, finally finding the perfect slip for my new rifle, bumping into an old friend that i hadn't seen for 4 years and having the chance to have a pint with him. But the absolute icing on the cake was, the greatest development in rural pursuits, the tweed mini skirt with Durrbary boots....
    Low lights were, paying 7 for 'Gourmet fish and chips' then when i sat down to eat it realizing that Gourmet means, a fish so thin it's only got one side and so fresh it had eaten most of the chips.
    that and Mike Norris shouting, 'hello tubby' at me across his tent.

Ezzy

" But the absolute icing on the cake was, the greatest development in rural pursuits, the tweed mini skirt with Durrbary boots...."

Hell yes got a seek preview of those at The royal highland show. Never been that keen on Durrbary stuff before but now.....

Now, I really don't want to be a Moriarty here (always with the negative waves...) but lets be realistic here, I went to the Prodigy concert in MK on sat night, along with 64,999 others at forty odd quid a ticket, I also went to the Farnborough airshow on Friday, they reckon that 100k+ people went to the public days at twenty five quid a head...

So, until we can turn numbers like that, I'd say we're firmly in the minority camp!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Pete

I don't know if it was the blue entrance but we were close to Entrance A. We were in the front line of cars in the car park so we felt like we were on show

If it was us you should have come over - you'd have been more than welcome to a bacon butty!

As we pulled in to the car park space I looked to my left and there was Dominic Griffith in the next parking spot. What are the chances of adjacent Dominics I wonder??

Dom
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!