Chinese water deer

MJ75

Does anyone know what kind of cull and troPhy fees are associated with this species? And where it's available?

Thanks in advance
MJ

mj,

there is an old saying mate " IF YOU NEED TO ASK YOU CANT AFFORD"

I enquired about shooting Cwd and it was the 800 mile trip that killed if for me.

f.

Does anyone know what kind of cull and troPhy fees are associated with this species? And where it's available?

Thanks in advance
MJ
prices will depend on who you go with and what you talk like,Woburn Abbey expect £1000 I have heard averages of around £600 I have a mate who will be selling them this season for £330 to £350,if you shop about you will find a deal to be had,be warned there the most boring deer there is to stalk

Is it the case that they are boring to stalk? I confess to knowing nothing about them but have not heard this before. How so? I am interested. To me all species, and I have three here, all have their own quirks and delights and frustrations attached to stalking them.
David

Thanks for the replies.and PM's.

I've never seen any cull and trophy prices published hence the question. I do have aspirations of stalking all 6 UK species but CWD seem to be the least common. Trophy prices seem much less than other species from what I've read so far.

So, although the mrs may agree with you Frank, we shall see....... lol

be warned there the most boring deer there is to stalk

As with anything considered exotic the price tag can be hefty for the unwary and the uninformed. Shop around, some good deals can be had from time to time. A hasty purchase is often the thing that costs you the most!;)

Whilst not the most dynamic of deer species I wouldn't mark them down as the most boring deer to stalk. That honour must surly go to the now ubiquitous Muntjac.

Is it the case that they are boring to stalk? I confess to knowing nothing about them but have not heard this before. How so? I am interested. To me all species, and I have three here, all have their own quirks and delights and frustrations attached to stalking them.
David

Hi Davie, hope you are all well up there??? i went couple of years ago and managed a buck, different but easy when you start glassing the middle of the vast Bedfordshire fields instead of the trees as we are more used to, better fun with your 3 any day of the week....

Nell

Whilst not the most dynamic of deer species I wouldn't mark them down as the most boring deer to stalk. That honour must surly go to the now ubiquitous Muntjac.

You must be joking!:eek:
Either that or you haven't stalked many Muntjac!
They are a fantastic species to stalk - if you like a challenge that is?;)
MS

You must be joking!:eek:
Either that or you haven't stalked many Muntjac!
They are a fantastic species to stalk - if you like a challenge that is?;)
MS

No! I'm not joking and I've had years when I've shot 25+ a season. I know a few people rave about them, say they are difficult to stalk, say they are mismanaged, and say they are a challenge. I'm just not one of them. I don't even like eating them in anything other than burgers, sausages, or biltong and with plenty of spices added.

A case of familiarity breeds contempt perhaps.

No! I'm not joking and I've had years when I've shot 25+ a season. I know a few people rave about them, say they are difficult to stalk, say they are mismanaged, and say they are a challenge. I'm just not one of them. I don't even like eating them in anything other than burgers, sausages, or biltong and with plenty of spices added.

Ravi,
Sounds like your bored with them to me. If you need to shoot that many again I am more than willing to help take the tedium out of this for you.;);) :D:lol::lol:

John.

John

Bored,moi?

Shoot enough of something mediocre and you start to see past the initial appeal. Be it rooftop high pheasants or bumbling muntjac. I no longer shoot rooftop high pheasants preferring the challenge of the high bird estates. I still shoot muntjac but prefer to let my invited guests do the numbers for me. They enjoy it and as you say it relieves me of the tedium.

I probably shoot best part of a hundred Munties a year so I suppose you could say I'm fairly familiar with them, and I'm certainly not bored with them yet!:D
As for eating them, I personally rate Munty venison as about as good as it gets. A nice slow cooked haunch in a thick rich sauce takes some beating, and 'flash fried' fillet then placed in a hot oven for a few minutes then allowed to rest for a while is as tender and juicy as steak can ever be!
It's all a matter of personal taste on both counts I suppose?
There are a lot of people with stalking permission now that they wouldn't have if it wasn't for the humble muntjac that's for sure!;)
I'm sure they are grateful for them.
MS:)

Hi
i might be able to put you in contact with a chap that has some chink stalking. send me a pm if your interested

ATB
Cam

MS

I suppose a lot depends upon what other recreational, or employment activities you are involved with that helps determine whether stalking muntjac becomes a matter of routine and looses is initial thrill or appeal. I agree that personal preference and personal taste plays its part too.

Part of my dislike of muntjac venison stems from having had to eat the stuff when there was little else available. Father was very much of the waste not, want not school of operations. Now I find sika hinds and young fallow much more to my liking.

Their ability to colonise and extensively breed in the most marginal of habitats has created additional stalking opportunities for some, it has also brought them into more conflict than any other deer species. More young muntjac get killed by the house hold pet dog out on a walk than any other deer.

People will always be grateful for opportunities to go stalking, even if it is only for the ubiquitous and bumbling muntjac.

Thank you to everyone who made a relevant post.

To bring this thread back on track, I've had numerous PM's advising on what's available.

Their seems to be a lot of focus on gold medal heads. And these vary from £350 to £500. Woburn Abbey alledgedly charge an awful lot more! Outing fees are more or less comparable to roe. Cull animals seem very good value. One outfit offers two outings for £175 with the cost of two cull animals included. Another offers an outing at £100. With an additional cull fee of £100 for upto two cull animals.

So bagging two cull animals for £200 or less is not as expensive as some people seem to think. Trophy fees are comparable with roe medal heads (At least the sensible priced outfits anyway!).

If anyone has any pictures of animals they have taken please post. There seems to be a lack of info on CWD so feel free to add more!

Thanks in advance
MJ

Last edited:
Back