Thread: what is needed?

what is needed?

Hi guys

Looking to reload my own shortly, could anyone advise what equipment i would require for reloading .308 rounds. And rough costs.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Loadbooks USA.............One book/ One calibre, the complete reloading manual for the .308 winchester. Loadbooks Bullet Reloading Manuals, Bullets, Reloading, Guns
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Load books are great! I have several of them. In your case -since you are asking what you need- I'm assuming that you are a novice? In this instance you will need a book that is instructional as well. I always (ad nauseum) recommend "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee, Vol II. Truly a great book with info you won't find in other books.

As to what you need to reload .308, really? A Lee Classic Reloader in 308. A Lee Trimmer set up in 308. Components. You'll load very good ammunition without draining the bank account. I try to keep one of these for every caliber I shoot, despite having bench mounted equipment.~Muir
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lee loader.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	1968

Great stuff these little reloader sets. Muir has covered all the vital items. I used to have two - .243 and .222. I added on a Lyman powder scale for use at home - my peace of mind, but frankly, I cannot swear that I gained in accuracy when I moved onto the single-stage Wamadet press and dies.
    The great thing about this little kit is that it so easy to carry in the field. A box of primers - a decanted - but well marked smaller watertight plastic carton of powder, and if it comes to the crunch, a piece of a branch as a mallet.

I gave the one in .222 away I think, but I still have the one in .243.

Be sure, if you are going to pack the set away for a while, to thoroughly clean and get rid of any hand sweat from the bullet seating rod and decapper rod. They are blued steel but very prone to rust. They WILL get stuck into the neck of the die if left dirty with sweat and powder dust.

Excellent value for money and excellent accuracy. Certainly as good accuracy as many humans could produce from their rifles with 'customised' ammo.

goldypurple:- received my "1 book / 1 caliber" on friday, costs $10.95 plus $10 P+P, equates to 14.50 aprox, good value, well worth it, best value I could find for Lee reloading kit in UK, Henry Kranks, ask for Ken Gray, he's an old reloader, so if anyone can sort you out he's your man, he doesn't work mondays, you can order their free catalogue on-line, it's quite good, hope this helps..... callie

Quote Originally Posted by ecoman View Post
    Great stuff these little reloader sets. Muir has covered all the vital items. I used to have two - .243 and .222. I added on a Lyman powder scale for use at home - my peace of mind, but frankly, I cannot swear that I gained in accuracy when I moved onto the single-stage Wamadet press and dies.
    The great thing about this little kit is that it so easy to carry in the field. A box of primers - a decanted - but well marked smaller watertight plastic carton of powder, and if it comes to the crunch, a piece of a branch as a mallet.

I gave the one in .222 away I think, but I still have the one in .243.

Be sure, if you are going to pack the set away for a while, to thoroughly clean and get rid of any hand sweat from the bullet seating rod and decapper rod. They are blued steel but very prone to rust. They WILL get stuck into the neck of the die if left dirty with sweat and powder dust.

Excellent value for money and excellent accuracy. Certainly as good accuracy as many humans could produce from their rifles with 'customised' ammo.
    Exactly. I load at the bench using these kits! I also have .222 kit and it actually makes ammo as good as that from my bench mounted gear. A few years back I was asked to compare these kits to bench loaded ammo and published my results. Accuracy from my son's HOWA varmint .223 was identical.

Eco: Have you ever encountered the "Deluxe" Lee kits? They have a neck reamer and a micrometer seater die that correctly emphasizes bullet seating depth instead of over-all length. I have one in 243 and .222 and they make bench-rest grade ammunition. I see them on E-Bay once in a while... I'm still holding out for one in 30-06 and 308!~Muir

This photo is missing the powder funnel and press but this is what I reload with. I'm not saying it is what you need but I certainly don't feel that I need any more so perhaps it will give you some ideas. I guess this is for a more "conventional" setup than what Muir recommends

I have no idea of capital costs as I bought the bits when I needed them, so they were bought over quite a long time scale. The cost to reload each round, ignoring the capital cost of press etc, of 308 is about 80p and increasing every day. I have some Federal blue box ammo that I bought a while back and I certainly couldn't load 20 rounds for any less than what the Federal cost me. Assuming you shoot quite a bit then I would guess that averaged over 5 years and including the cost of the press and so on then you could reload for about the same price as you could buy good quality inexpensive ammo for. However, there is satisfaction to be had from the reloading plus you may be able to use bullets or get accuracy that just isn't possible with factory stuff.