ELD-X seating depth

NigelM

I have spent a lot of time this weekend and fired over 60 rounds working up a load for the 162 ELD-X in a 280AI. Thought I would share what I found on seating depth for anyone else trying to make them work.

I started at 30 thou off the lands and worked loads from 60 grains up with 4 shot groups. I thought I would get to 62.0 but at 61.6 the bolt got a bit stiff and I could see ejector marks so went no further. The best group was 0.8" (over 100 meters) at 60.8 grains so I decided to look at seating depths at this charge weight.

Working into 10 thou off the group grew to 1.1". At 50 thou it was 1.8" and then at 70 thou off it shrunk to 0.4". Moving on to 90 thou the group was 0.9" and then 1.4" at 110 thou.

I went back and checked the 70 thou group and got 0.5".

This has been the most fussy bullet for seating depth that I have ever worked up. Hopefully my experience with them can help someone else.

IMG_0699.jpg

I have spent a lot of time this weekend and fired over 60 rounds working up a load for the 162 ELD-X in a 280AI. Thought I would share what I found on seating depth for anyone else trying to make them work.

I started at 30 thou off the lands and worked loads from 60 grains up with 4 shot groups. I thought I would get to 62.0 but at 61.6 the bolt got a bit stiff and I could see ejector marks so went no further. The best group was 0.8" (over 100 meters) at 60.8 grains so I decided to look at seating depths at this charge weight.

Working into 10 thou off the group grew to 1.1". At 50 thou it was 1.8" and then at 70 thou off it shrunk to 0.4". Moving on to 90 thou the group was 0.9" and then 1.4" at 110 thou.

I went back and checked the 70 thou group and got 0.5".

This has been the most fussy bullet for seating depth that I have ever worked up. Hopefully my experience with them can help someone else.

View attachment 82281
I'm curious: What is the over all length of the cartridge, headstamp to tip??~Muir

NigelIM

Interesting as I have just spent a wee bit of time load developing 120g A-Max in a .260Rem. 10ths off and they are as near perfect as I need.

When researching Hornady logic behind abandoning the A-Max for the ELD if your only shooting at shorter ranges then there is no need to pay an extra £8 a box for ELD.

If your going past 600 yards try the Lapua Scenar.

Spiker

Very interesting results. Thank you, I am in two minds about using these or a 168gr classic hunter from Berger.

If this didn't work my next call was to be the 180 VLD Hunting from Berger which according to the calculators will stabilise slightly better than the ELDX in a 9 twist barrel and seems to be the benchmark for long range work.

Have you tried crimping the bullets. In my experience this provides a bit more consistency and less reliance on distance from lands? Haven't tried the ELD x though.

Have you tried crimping the bullets. In my experience this provides a bit more consistency and less reliance on distance from lands? Haven't tried the ELD x though.

I'm there now as far as accuracy at 100 meters. A 4 shot 0.4" and another at 0.5" is good enough for me. Never needed to crimp before and hoping to avoid it.

However, ES and SD are a bit high. I'm using IMR7828 at 107% so I'm going to try IMR7828 SSC which should reduce the crush to 102% which I hope may close up the velocity spreads. If that doesn't work I'm going to try switching the 210M primers to the Rem 7.5's to see if that helps.

It's all too anal for deer stalking really, but I want to try my luck at shooting 1000m this year (targets) so need it to be a bit more consistent.

:eek: Are you INSANE??? Never mention the "C" word.

They're probably coming for you right now......:scared: ~Muir

Seems your results somewhat mirror what Berger recommends in initial testing for VLD bullets.

VLD: Making it Shoot | Berger Bullets

Have you measured all the rounds after seating, are they consistent in OAL (you have quite compressed loads)?

I had a good look at the Berger recommendations before I started and their system worked for me.

Every round was measured by hand after seating just to make sure they were consistent. A switch to IMR7848 SSC should get me down to 102% load density which I'm hoping will reduce the ES and SD. I know I'm asking for trouble at 107% but it seemed to work for 100 meter accuracy.

Back