Pulsar Helion XQ v XP

Cawdor118

Looking at Pulsars, is the price difference really worth It?

All I'm really after is a heat signature out to about 500m.

Can't decide what size or model to go with.

I have used an older XD50 and it was pretty good.

As far as detection range goes it makes no difference. An XP model won't get you more stuff in the bag over an XQ model. But the XP image quality, detail and heat sensitivity is much better..so its personal choice, if you have to have the best image, its the XP.

Sounds like a quantum lite would do you Cawdor.

I'm not sure how much to spend on it mate. I did seriously consider your XQ38F offer but can't commit just at the moment. I'm not sure I really need the top end stuff when I was happy looking through my mates older XD50. Not sure what the specs on that model would be.

As far as detection range goes it makes no difference. An XP model won't get you more stuff in the bag over an XQ model. But the XP image quality, detail and heat sensitivity is much better..so its personal choice, if you have to have the best image, its the XP.

Sounds like a quantum lite would do you Cawdor.

I'm using an HD50s, and it does all I need. It failed once, due to a faulty jack plug, and was replaced with a new one. If you could get an older model that had been serviced/reconditioned, it should suit you needs and budget.

I'm using an HD50s, and it does all I need. It failed once, due to a faulty jack plug, and was replaced with a new one. If you could get an older model that had been serviced/reconditioned, it should suit you needs and budget.

Agree an HD50S will do all you need if you just need to detect. There good units but the Quantum XQ models that superseded the HD offered better features, eye display shut off, silent calibration, 2 second startup, colour palettes and sharper/less grainy 17 micron display.

If on a tighter budget I would go for a Quantum Lite XQ30V , theres so much choice at the minute with newer models.

Agree an HD50S will do all you need if you just need to detect. There good units but the Quantum XQ models that superseded the HD offered better features, eye display shut off, silent calibration, 2 second startup, colour palettes and sharper/less grainy 17 micron display.

If on a tighter budget I would go for a Quantum Lite XQ30V , theres so much choice at the minute with newer models.

Just how does the XQ30 compare to the XQ38, new, or old ?

Just how does the XQ30 compare to the XQ38, new, or old ?

Not much in it
The XQ30V will let you detect a fox size target at 800m.
For the XQ38 and the same size target, it would be 1000m
Since you wouldn't be shooting foxes at 800m, then the XQ30V would do the job fine - and buying new, rather than used would get you a full 3 year warranty.
Actually, I haven't seen any used XQ38s being sold for less than the price of a new XQ30 and one trade member on here is selling a new XQ50 for £2250

Cheers

Bruce

The Quantum Lite is well worth the money, but I'd still go for a Helion XQ if you can afford it. I don't think the XP adds anything essential, just a prettier picture. That matters to me in a riflescope, but not in a spotter.

Fair comment... I'm not sure the extra £1400 is that obvious in picture quality. Would be nice to see a video of both side by side and on the same zoom.

The Quantum Lite is well worth the money, but I'd still go for a Helion XQ if you can afford it. I don't think the XP adds anything essential, just a prettier picture. That matters to me in a riflescope, but not in a spotter.

Fair comment... I'm not sure the extra £1400 is that obvious in picture quality. Would be nice to see a video of both side by side and on the same zoom.

I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of videos are misleading, and really don't show the units in their best light.

I'd really suggest, that you try to get to look at them in the flesh, with someone who knows how to use it, so you can see it in it's best light, regardless of which model.

Back