Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it ?

Is it worth it ?

One of the reasons I stalk is to successfully acquire as much equipment as possible and then hardly use any of it .

I have a problem though. It lies in the tantalising NEED to get a custom rifle made and spend countless hours manufacturing a round which will do something spectacular on paper at 100 yards. So what's the problem. Well I am so lazy I just cant be ar**d. I read the threads on here about amazing accuracy, with bespoke equipment and wonder what effort you have to put in (and at what cost), to improve performance to a measurable/meaningful amount.

Does anyone have photos of targets shot with standard equipment and factory ammo that would stand comparison to custom made gear.
    Last edited by howa243; 27-07-2010 at 11:14.

Grant, I have been down that road as you know, and I have to be brutally honest and say I would not do it again.

Any half decent factory rifle can be made to shoot 3/4 moa or thereabouts with a bit of hand loading, and that is more than good enough for most if not all deer stalking.

The upsides of a custom are you can get the chambering you want, in the action you like, with a good synthetic stocks (factory syn stocks are generally ****) , and a good barrel cut to your length etc.

If I was doing it again I would either buy someone else's second hand custom at no more than 50% of the new cost, or I would buy a Blaser. Job done.

Have to say that after many years as a sceptic, I am a convert to Blaser, I could get very boring on the subject.....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

You want to get yourself on the http://www.uklongrange.com/ forum to see what a custom rifle is capable of. What some of the people on there can do is just amazing. Although i am on there it is all a bit to technical for simple little me.

George

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    One of the reasons I stalk is to successfully acquire as much equipment as possible and then hardly use any of it .

I have a problem though, and it lies in the tantalising NEED to get a custom rifle made and spend countless hours manufacturing a round which will do something spectacular on paper at 100 yards. So what's the problem. Well I am so lazy I just cant be arsed. I read the threads on here about amazing accuracy, with bespoke equipment and wonder what effort you have to put in (and at what cost), to improve performance to a measurable/meaningful amount.

Does anyone have photos of targets shot with standard equipment and factory ammo that would stand comparison to custom made gear.
    obviously a custom rifle aint your cup of tea but it is for many many people who want the best in accuracy,I think your lack of knowlage about what a custom is about is the problem here
    you dont spens hours and hour perfecting ammo as a good built rilfe will shoot straight out of the box,but the BIG difference between factory and custom besides the price is consistancy,but some factory rifles are more than a custom build
    you clearly stare "you cant be arsed" thats fair enough obvioulsy other can be arsed to get the very best from there equipment
    each to there own

I have shot a vast number of creatures from crows, foxes and various Deer species with my Carl Gustaf Model 2000 standard .270 sporter.
    I have never seen the necessity to spend many spondulics on custom jobs but some people look for perfection through their gear and not their own skills.
    The factory test group for this rifle was shot with Norma 150gr soft-point ammo and was an oblong 5 shot hole.
    I will try to find the picture as I have it somewhere.

HWH.

Have not found it yet but below is a pic. of groups shot with 3 of my standard factory rifles using re-loads. [all shot at 100yds.]
    HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    Do you mean like this, off the bipod under 3/4".

Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

You mean like this:

Or this load development target:

Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

hi,

having see lots of custom guns vs the factory gun and also factory ammo vs hand loads.
    imho and again i iterate imho at and upto 150 mtrs its irrelevant as both do pretty much the same.
    the custom choice i believe comes in after the 150 mtr approx distance and too for the hand loads.
    you may differ but that's my opinion.
    also having a custom gun and shoot no further than 100 yards is like having a range rover and going to the shops. you do it cos you can. well done wish i could.

frank.

All are 4 shot groups, one of them is 0.182". 2 of them are from my 6mm and the other is from my old 6.5. Both are semi-custom rifles.
    It is possible to get a semi-custom rifle built with a blueprinted action for less than a factory rifle.
    Why do I like them.......cos I like reloading and trying for perfection.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0459.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	1971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0460.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	1972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0461.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	34.2 KB