Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Small 4x4

2000 to 2005 Grand Vitaras with good tyres are excellent off road and ok on road.
    you can get them for 1k to 3K
    Long wheel base is more comfortable and more room.
    Short wheel base excellent for driving around the woods but need to
    fold rear seats down to get any room in the back.
    Ive had landrovers and suzukis and actually prefer the Suzuki
    all round.

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    One here for the Terios. I had one for about three years. It was an excellent all round vehicle but they stopped importing them a few years ago. It would go anywhere and I really liked it. If you can get hold of a good s/h model it would be a good buy. I traded mine in for a Hilux as I needed a bigger truck. I think the garage sold my Terios the same day it went on the forecourt.
    Check out Jeremy Clarksons test of ther Terios where he goes hunting. Quite impressive.
    THis is a useful site:
    Car Reviews for Both New and Used Vehicles | RAC Drive

The Terios it seems is essentially a Toyota underneath. Quite good off-road, the best of the mini 4X4s but limited by ground clearance. It should be cheap to run and they're inexpensive S'H.

I don't know what's going to happen with diesel. All I do know is whatever I buy will have to last a few years and I'm trying to future-proof myself as best I can with little information to go on. If we're to believe the politicians we can assume that road tax on diesel cars is going to become progressively more expensive than petrol but we don't know how they're going to treat fuel duty or how widespread urban pollution taxes will be. That annual 1000 differential could easily be overturned. The things you have to think about when you haven't much money...

The Rav4 would seem to be the most economical of the bigger petrols, the Vitara the least economical. A diesel would be better if I need to tow a trailer as well. Which I will - bike trailer, nothing heavy but a consideration.

just bought a 53 plate diesel rav4 long wheel base last year, so far it has been excellent, goes anywhere with the mud tyres, back seats come out altogether to practically turn it into a van. Touch wood but so far ive had no problems so far its been a great wee truck.

What wheels does the Rav4 come with? Is there a good choice of tyres or do you need different rims?

I think mine had 235/60 R16 tyres fitted. No hassle finding road or M+S tyres.

hh

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by badbob View Post
    2000 to 2005 Grand Vitaras with good tyres are excellent off road and ok on road.
    you can get them for 1k to 3K
    Long wheel base is more comfortable and more room.
    Short wheel base excellent for driving around the woods but need to
    fold rear seats down to get any room in the back.
    Ive had landrovers and suzukis and actually prefer the Suzuki
    all round.
    I have had most of the Vit's mentioned and I would stick to them, but now I have the use of 4 company vehicles I don't need to worry,

should I ever need one I would be heading back to the older vitara, the new one is a shinny thing that doe's not even look good, the older one is ok but permanent 4 wheel drive, the older one than that again is the best vitara by far, 45 plus on a run (diesel) cheap parts, good transfer box and selectable hi/low, put some good boots on it and your off. again the boot is not mahoosive but whip out the back seats and you will have more than enough room

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    I have had most of the Vit's mentioned and I would stick to them, but now I have the use of 4 company vehicles I don't need to worry,

should I ever need one I would be heading back to the older vitara, the new one is a shinny thing that doe's not even look good, the older one is ok but permanent 4 wheel drive, the older one than that again is the best vitara by far, 45 plus on a run (diesel) cheap parts, good transfer box and selectable hi/low, put some good boots on it and your off. again the boot is not mahoosive but whip out the back seats and you will have more than enough room

bob.
    You mean this one? Suzuki Grand Vitara (1998 - 2006) used car review | Car review | RAC Drive

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    this is not bad but it has permanent 4wheel drive,

this is the one

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Got a Jimny.
    Ideal for what i need. Good offroad with mud tyres on. ***** on road with them though .
    Perfect for pootling to forests and round any tracks. Rear seats removed and a genuine load liner fitted.
    Holds all my gear for a day out no probs.
    Gutsy on fuel for what it is though. 2wd, 4wd, 4wd Low gearbox.
    Last edited by Coddy; 21-04-2017 at 21:43.
    Knowledge dispell's fear in all sorts of walks of life.

Thanks for the input chaps. Maybe veering away from a micro 4X4. Looks like it'll either be a Rav4 or a Vitara. Like the idea of Toyota build quality and you do see them selling with very high mileages whereas there don't seem to be many Vitaras with more than 150000 miles on the sales sites. I always think it encouraging when high mileage cars are still fetching good money..

I'm guessing also the Jimny is a bit cramped for shooting out of? I do a fair bit of rabbit shooting, mopping up really, as none of my ground is now heavily infested and that often involves just driving round and cleaning up ones and twos out of the window. Some vehicles are a lot better for this than others. A Landrover Defender is one of my least favourites: small windows and no room at your shoulder to move and turn. The Jimny has that look about it.
    Last edited by Finch; 22-04-2017 at 07:02.